Why Join CWSDS
- Meaningful work, supporting people with complex needs
- One of Canada’s top pension plans with HOOPP
- Comprehensive benefits and competitive wages
- Opportunity for growth and development / Training reimbursement
- Opportunity to have your voice heard on one of our many committees
- Equal opportunity employer, seeking to promote diversity, equity and inclusion
Central West Specialized Developmental Services (CWSDS) is a leader in providing supportive living, community participation supports and specialized services, assessment and treatment to people who have developmental and intellectual disabilities, dual diagnosis, and/or challenging behaviours throughout the municipalities of Halton, Peel and Dufferin and the regions of Waterloo and Wellington.
As a specialist in the field of developmental an intellectual disabilities, CWSDS has experienced continued growth over the last five years. As such, we are looking to hire a Registered Nurse (RN) on a full time basis (37.5 hours per week). This position will report to the Health Services Manager.
- Acting as the Registered Nurse for people supported as assigned.
- Providing health teaching and resource material to direct support professionals regarding the management of overall preventative health care including specific diseases and conditions.
- Interpreting the physician’s orders to direct support professionals
- Teaching new techniques, procedures, treatments and skills related to the health needs of the persons supported
- Administering treatments and performing procedures that require nursing skills, such as prescribed injections, blood pressure.
- Completing nursing assessments, progress reports and health care plans in accordance with persons supported health needs.
- Liaising with hospital staff when persons supported are admitted on a short-term basis.
- Responding to medical emergencies as required and providing appropriate follow-up
- Monitoring drug therapy in accordance with the physician’s orders and agency policy.
- Maintaining appropriate documentation for persons supported as assigned.
- Performing delegated medical acts sanctioned by the Ontario College of Nurses.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing, with registration as a Nurse (R.N.) in Ontario, plus significant experience after graduation providing nursing services to persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities, mental health challenges and challenging behaviours.
- Maintains a Valid Standard First Aid and CPR/AED “Level C” Certificate.
- Proven experience providing professional nursing services to persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities including Autism and/or mental health disorders.
- Knowledge of preventative health care and management of psychiatric and behavioural issues.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a clinical team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word and Excel.
- Very good oral and written communication skills.
- Flexibility to work morning, afternoon, evening and weekend shifts
- Valid Ontario G Class Driver’s License and a vehicle for conducting visits and other related activities.
- Providing proof of vaccination for COVID-19 and maintaining vaccination status as necessary from time to time during employment. Should you be unable to vaccinate for a bona fide human rights related reason, CWSDS will investigate whether accommodation is possible without undue hardship.
LOCATION: Oakville. Some travel required across Halton Region
HOURS OF WORK: 8 to 12 hour shifts. Flexibility to work morning, afternoon/ evening and rotational weekend shifts is required.
HOURLY RATE: $29.90 - $43.23
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Central West Specialized Developmental Services will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
We thank all applicants for your interest in our organization but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Apply for Registered Nurse
Already uploaded your Resume? Sign in to apply instantly