Registered Nurse (Special Care Nursery)
Michael Garron Hospital (MGH) is an award-winning hospital and one of Toronto's best-kept secrets. As a leading Ontario community teaching hospital, MGH has proudly served the diverse, multi-cultural community of east Toronto since 1929 and is known for its friendliness and sense of community within Canada's largest city. Recognized as a leader in workplace wellness and offering a quality work environment focused on learning and development, MGH invests in people to meet their professional goals and to reach their personal best.
Currently, we have an exciting opportunity for an individual who wants to advance their career as a
Registered Nurse in Special Care Nursery
Permanent Full Time
The Registered Nurse is responsible for the comprehensive nursing care of high risk neonates and their families. Functions according to the practice standards and guidelines from the College of Nurses of Ontario and the division of nursing at MGH.
- Registered Nurse with current Certificate of Registration issued by the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Current B.C.L.S required.
- Current Neonatal Resuscitation Provider (NRP) Course and renewal as per standard of NRP required.
- 21 Hour Breastfeeding Course Certificate required
- Perinatal Intensive Care Nursing Program Certificate an asset
- Minimum of 1-2 years of recent relevant neonatal experience in a Level II (C) Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) setting within the last 3 years OR 1 year of recent experience in level III NICU setting within the last 3 years required.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency with added nursing skills such as: capillary bloodwork, IV's, endotracheal suctioning, umbilical arterial line care and blood sampling, PICC line care,
- Ability to utilize knowledge of neonatal conditions in order to develop patient care plan required.
- Sound knowledge and skills of breastfeeding practices in a healthy, premature and ill newborn
- Demonstrated commitment to family-centered care required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Demonstrated understanding of quality Improvement processes
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem-solving skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently as well as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
- Demonstrated commitment to life-long learning
- Effective, accurate and timely documentation skills required.
- Ability to work well with minimal supervision within a fast paced environment required.
- Good work attendance record required.
- All employees of Michael Garron Hospital (MGH), a division of Toronto East Health Network (TEHN) [formerly Toronto East General Hospital (TEGH)] agree to work within the legislated practices of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario.
- All employees of MGH are responsible to contribute to a transparent culture of patient and staff safety by adhering to and abiding by patient and staff safety policies and procedures set by MGH.
- All employees are accountable for protecting the psychological health and safety of themselves and their co-workers through adherence to MGH's policies and practices.
-Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you are ready to join MGH, please visit our Careers page at www.tehn.ca > Careers > Career Opportunities to apply to our current nursing roles.
Disclaimer: Please note that we will be reviewing candidates as submitted, and therefore, early applications are encouraged.
Michael Garron Hospital fosters an inclusive and diverse work environment. We are committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process. Should you require an accommodation, please let us know how we can work with you to meet your needs.
Our diverse staff is our most valued resource.
Compassion, Integrity, Courage and Accountability are the values that set Michael Garron Hospital apart