Registered Nurse, Integrated Stroke and Rehabilitation Unit
In Canada, someone has a stroke every 10 minutes. That's more than 50,000 strokes in this country each year, and this number is expected to rise as baby boomers age.
A stroke is a sudden loss of brain function. It’s caused when the blood flow to the brain is interrupted (an ischemic stroke), or there’s a rupture of blood vessels in the brain (a hemorrhagic stroke). This causes brain cells in the affected area to die, resulting in varying degrees of impairment in movement, speech, memory, thinking skills, and swallowing.
At Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre (RVH), our 40 bed Integrated Stroke Unit specializes in this type of care. If you want to make an impact on someone’s hospital stay and recovery, this is the job for you! There are both permanent and temporary opportunities available.
As the Registered Nurse (RN) you are a professional caregiver who is responsible and accountable for providing quality patient care within a delivery model in accordance with the philosophy, policies and standards of care of the RVH, the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) and all relevant legislation.
As a qualified candidate you will have the following job requirements:
- Current Certificate of Registration from the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Current BCLS
- Additional formal educational requirements/certifications as required in department
- Membership in professional association specific to nursing service area
- Computer literacy in current software applications
- Demonstrated commitment to the professional growth and development of self and others
- Demonstrated commitment to the concepts of Continuous Quality Improvement and Customer Service
You will be a great fit for this position if you have:
- Ability to function independently within the scope of practice
- Sound problem solving, communication (oral and written), conflict resolution and decision making skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Sound knowledge of nursing process and responsibilities of profession
- Ability to learn about, from and with other members of the patient care team to foster a strong Interprofessional model of care