Department: Social & Community Services
Division/Location: Services for Senior – Allendale (Milton), Creek Way Village (Burlington), Post Inn Village (Oakville)
Position: Registered Nurse
Salary: $33.23 - $47.57 per hour (ONA)
At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness, and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve.
Applicants within the bargaining unit will have first consideration.
This is for future casual employment opportunities. Please specify which long-term care home(s) you wish to be considered for.
Halton Region serves more than 580,000 residents throughout Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton, and Oakville. We are committed to the delivery of high-quality programs and services that make Halton a great place to live and work.
We are proud to operate three non-profit long-term care homes where our employees make a meaningful contribution to the lives of the residents by providing quality care in a family-like atmosphere.
As an employee, you will be part of a progressive, service-focused, and award-winning employer with a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also recognized as a Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO) Best Practice Spotlight Organization.
At Halton, you are encouraged to grow and succeed in your career and are recognized for your work.
Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario with two years of experience in geriatrics, rehabilitation, or long-term care nursing is required. A B.Sc.N is an asset. Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work both in a team and independently are required. The successful incumbent must also possess strong analytical skills and the ability to manage multiple demands and decision-making skills. Demonstrated computer ability and experience in Long Term Care is desirable. Must have a genuine desire to work with the elderly, an understanding of the Residents’ Bill of Rights and Compliance Standards as set out by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care.
You make a positive difference in people’s lives because you provide high-quality customer-centered services. You operate within a highly ethical environment and will be accountable for going the extra mile, listening to your customers, creatively meeting needs, and always being respectful to those you serve. As a result, you will be part of a qualified and strategic team recognized widely for caring, excellence, integrity, inclusiveness, and flexibility.
The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on condition that the Regional Municipality of Halton receives a current (obtained within the past six (6) months), original and acceptable Criminal Records Check, including Vulnerable Sector Screening by the first day of employment. The successful candidate will also need to provide a current two-step tuberculosis test (obtained within the past six (6) months) by the first day of employment. Successful candidates that have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 90 days will be exempt from antigen testing and will need to provide the Region with proof of the positive test result. The Region encourages staff to be immunized, however, it is not a condition of employment. If you do have proof of influenza or COVID-19 vaccination or medical exemption, that should be shared as part of your onboarding process. Unvaccinated staff who do not have a medical exemption will be required to completed vaccination education within the first 30 days of employment. Flexibility in work schedule including shifts and every other weekend is required. Must be able to perform all the necessary physical tasks associated with the care and assistance of residents.
In support of the Region’s commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, the Region has a vaccination requirement for all employees.
The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Fully vaccinated is defined as having received all of the required doses of a World Health Organization (WHO) approved vaccine and having received the final dose at least 14 days before your employment start date.
The candidate will be asked to provide the Region with proof of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. Acceptable proof includes an Ontario Ministry of Health COVID-19 vaccine receipt which you can obtain through the Provincial portal https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/, or other government-issued vaccine passport or certification.
The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Human Rights Code if the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected by the Code. Where the successful candidate has not been fully vaccinated, a documented medical reason provided by a physician or registered nurse and time period for the medical reason may be accepted consistent with Halton’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
- Provides leadership for designated home areas ensuring that resident care is delivered according to Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC), College of Nurses of Ontario, and Services for Seniors Mission and Care Philosophy.
- Provides direction to staff concerning resident and family issues and Resident Home Area operations.
- Supervises work of front-line staff providing direction and support as necessary.
- Communicates effectively with residents, staff, families, physicians, and team members.
- Provides excellent customer service at all times. Provides individualized service and creates a “homelike” atmosphere.
- Participates in the skin and wound care programs according to MOHLTC and Services for Seniors policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Completes an individualized plan of care for each resident. Assesses resident’s health status on an ongoing basis and institutes appropriate care measures.
- Administers medication as necessary, as well as medications not approved for the RPN. Responsible for the security of drugs and narcotics according to applicable policies and legislation.
- Participates in Quality Improvement and Risk Management activities.
- Performs administrative duties such, as scheduling and acts as the Charge Nurse in absence of management staff.
- Assists in the orientation of new staff, students, and volunteers.
- Acts as a resident advocate; communicates information about client /resident needs to internal and external agencies, staff, volunteers, families, and students.
- Recommends changes to nursing practice, care policies, and procedures, as the need arises.
- Assists with completion of PSW and RPN performance appraisals by providing input to MORC.
- Contributes to physician rounds and facilitates Resident Care Conferences.
Posted: January 19, 2021
Posting Expires: December 31, 2021
Posting #: SS-19-21
Apply Online at Halton Job Postings
- We appreciate all applications however only those selected to advance in the selection process will be contacted. Candidates will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please check your email and voicemail regularly.
- We are committed to providing accommodation throughout the selection process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.