SickKids nurses are leaders who influence and deliver the best in specialized child and family-centred care. We focus on the whole person, to support children and families to cope, develop, grow, thrive and transform, leveraging strengths of the family.
When you join SickKids, you are joining a renowned interprofessional care team. We've been recognized as one of the World's Best paediatric healthcare centers, as well as a top 100 Employer in Canada.
We are proud of where we work, and we think you will be too!
What is the PICU?
The PICU is a 21 bed medical/surgical unit. Our patient's ages range from newborn to 18 years of age. The PICU is a state of the art unit equipped with the latest in patient care technology including computerized bedside charting. This world-renowned unit provides excellence in paediatric critical care in an innovative fast paced environment. Team members are encouraged to grow and contribute in the areas of clinical practice, education and research. Nurses will have the opportunity to develop clinical expertise in paediatric critical care nursing.
As an RN at SickKids there are many opportunities for career development including Critical Care Nursing, Acute Care Transport, Research, Education, Leadership, Advanced Practice, and more. We provide access to funding to help with the cost of investing in your career.
Ready to start your journey? Apply now for an opportunity to join our team on April 8, 2024.
Here's What You'll Love
- Enhancing children's health and changing the lives of children and their families every day
- Our academic and learning environment with robust 3-month orientation, mentoring programs, and focus on continuous improvement
- A culture of safety for both the patient and staff
- A focus on employee wellness. Self-care helps us care for others
- Comprehensive health & dental benefits and a defined-benefit pension plan
- A hospital that welcomes and focuses on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- A work environment where you have flexible scheduling, safe staff to patient ratios, awards and bursaries
- Being a part of the expert interprofessional care team driving hospital wide changes and beyond
- The opportunity to be recognized for nursing excellence awards and recognition programs
Also, check out our Nursing at SickKids page for more information
To preview descriptions inside SickKids Nursing units, please see the link below:
Here's What You'll Get to Do
- Develop and implement a nursing plan of care
- Work in collaboration with the child/family and the interdisciplinary health care team
- Care for acutely ill patients with a wide range of diagnoses in a high paced environment
- Develop skills to care for patients requiring high level of technology driven interventions such as conventional ventilation, high frequency ventilation, dialysis and ECMO.
- Maintain clinical competence and knowledge base through continued education and life-long learning
- Utilize evidence-based practice as a base in the promotion of professional accountability
- Provide safe, competent and ethical nursing care
Who You Are
- Graduate of an approved Baccalaureate Nursing Program
- Current registration as an RN with the College of Nurses of Ontario (General Class License)
- Possess 1 + years of clinical nursing experience in an RN capacity
- Previous work experience in Acute/Critical Care nursing (adult or paediatric) is an asset. Critical care nursing can include (PICU, NICU, Adult ICU, PACU, Emergency Department)
- Previous work experience in paediatrics or experience working with children is a strong asset but not mandatory
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to use your critical thinking, problem-solving and teamwork abilities
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the principles of equity, diversity and inclusivity
*Candidates with less than 1 year of clinical RN experience are encouraged to apply to our New Graduate Nurse job opening.