Posting #: 2024-927887
Position: Professional Practice Clinician (Clinical Education)
Department: Maternal Child
Status: Permanent Full Time
Hours: Monday-Friday primarily days; may need to work select evening, night or weekend hours for purposes of orientation and education.
Site: Primarily Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital (OTMH) – with some tri-site responsibilities
Halton Healthcare’s vision of exemplary patient experiences, always, goes beyond just the patient experience; it has shaped our entire culture and remains at the core of every interaction in our organization, from our patients & families to our staff, physicians and volunteers. We believe in exemplary PEOPLE experiences always!
At Halton Healthcare you will thrive in a healthcare culture and environment that embraces inclusion, diversity and belonging with ‘exemplary patient care, always’ at the heart of everything we do.
We empower our people to be the very best they can be so they can make a difference for our patients and the communities we serve.
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we are committed to being an innovative center of excellence in community hospital care.
This is what you'll be doing:
The Professional Practice Clinician is an exciting role. It is a full-time position for the Maternal Newborn areas (Level 2B) at OTMH. This role reports to the OTMH Maternal Child Program Director and to the Director Professional Practice for corporate responsibilities. The PPC will collaborate and work closely with the OTMH Maternal Newborn and Paediatric Managers, Paediatric PPC, Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology, MDH/GH Maternal Newborn leaders, and fellow Professional Practice Clinicians (PPCs) to ensure high quality, safe patient and family centred care.
The PPC facilitates and promotes staff to attain/retain recognized professional credentials as it relates to their positions in the Maternal Child Program, specifically the Birthing Suite and Maternal Newborn units. Advanced clinical expertise in caring for antepartum, intrapartum, post-partum women and well newborns is required along with effective knowledge transfer, and program planning and evaluation skills. Superior interpersonal, coaching, adult learning, change management and leadership skills to foster interprofessional collaborative practice excellence within the Maternal Child program is essential.
The role encompasses the following responsibilities:
- Provides clinical teaching and staff development focusing on clinical education for staff.
- Facilitates and expedites continuous learning and professional development through educating, coaching and mentoring.
- Provides consultation to various team members on professional practice standards and evidence-based best practices.
- Maintains a current knowledge base regarding best practice and leading edge technology in the area of practice and clinical programs; draws upon contemporary evidence and/or research-based practice methods and standards.
- Develops, reviews, and revises policies and procedures related to professional practice and clinical care, and provides supporting education and evaluation.
- Develops and monitors quality indicators within the program and actively participates in quality improvement activities.
- As a member of the Office of Professional Practice, collaborates with the other PPCs to plan and provide the Interprofessional Orientation Program; coordinate and assist with quality management and educational initiatives at program and corporate levels, and facilitate the placement and positive experience of students throughout the program.
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for promoting a work environment that exemplifies respect, interprofessional and ethical practice, professional autonomous decision-making, and maximized scopes of practice.
- Serves as a role model and leader to support nursing care that optimizes patient outcomes and experiences while enhancing safety, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Participates in community and regional initiatives that have a direct relationship to the Programs.
- Performs regular quality monitoring audits to determine compliance to standards of practice and standards of care.
- Implements follow-up improvements as necessary.
- Responsible for leading and/or participating in specific related projects, as assigned.
This is what you will need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- Current Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario is required
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing is required
- Master Degree in Nursing, Education or Health Administration is preferred
- Membership in professional association (RNAO) is preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of recent relevant clinical experience at a level 2 or above hospital is preferred
- Current NRP and fetal health surveillance certification at time of hire and ongoing is required
- Completion of a breastfeeding certificate course at time of hire and ongoing is required
- Skills and experience to train staff regarding operative assistance at caesarian sections is required
- Fetal health surveillance instructor designation is required at time of hire or expectation to achieve certification within 6 months of hire
- NRP instructor designation is an asset
- Knowledge of professional practice issues, standards of practice, best practice guidelines, and clinical management tools is required
- Completion of quality improvement programs such as MOREOB™ and PROMPT is an asset
- Experience as an educator including the ability to design, facilitate and evaluate educational programs is an asset
- Skilled in the application of adult learning principles, human factors principles, and project management is an asset
- Demonstrated research skills is an asset
- Strong interpersonal, communication and leadership skills is required
- Demonstrated innovative, creative and professional role model
- Able to prioritize/organize multiple projects with strict deadlines
- Able to work autonomously
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio
- Able to meet the physical demands of the position
- Satisfactory employment and attendance record is required
Date Posted: January 9, 2024
Internal Applications Due By: January 16, 2024
If you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are, we'd like to hear from you. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.com directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with Directive #6, Halton Healthcare has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination and Management Policy. All new hires must be fully compliant with our Policy as a condition of employment with Halton Healthcare. Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of vaccination or proof of a documented medical exemption as part of the hiring process.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products. We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.
All Halton Healthcare staff, professional staff and volunteers are encouraged to be vigilant about identifying and reporting safety incidents in their everyday practice. They also have a role in analysis, recommendations and follow through to implementation.