Calian is proud to continue a long-standing contractual relationship with the Department of National Defence (DND) to provide healthcare services to the Canadian Armed Forces. Through the Health Care Provider Contract, Calian employs health care professionals across Canada who are integral to supporting the health and wellbeing of our military members.
Calian Health is seeking a full-time Mental Health Nurse with interest and experience in treating the military population, operational trauma, and occupational health. As a member of the multi-disciplinary team, you would provide Mental Health Nursing services to Canadian Armed Forces members in their exclusive outpatient clinic located at CFB Borden.
The clinic operates Monday to Friday from 7:30am to 4pm.
- Conducting bio-psychosocial assessments and developing individualized treatment plans with the Canadian Forces Member
- Providing direct client care and interventions based on the treatment plan consistent with the psychiatric illness and diagnosis in the DSM V
- Monitoring client progress, evaluating the treatment plan, and revising the treatment plan based on the clients' progress
- Providing supportive counselling using evidence-based practices such as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Solution Focused Therapy, Strengths Perspectives, and Motivational Interviewing
- Designing, revising, and providing psycho-educational sessions relaxation training, stress management, and anger management to individuals and groups
- Providing and supporting health education for members, their support networks, and others associated with their care
- Monitoring medications for therapeutic responses and provide client education on medications including purpose, proper administration, intended effects, and side effects
- Providing brief interventions to clients in acute distress and ensure the client has full access to internal and external health care services
- Participating in inter-disciplinary team meetings related to clinical care and service delivery by presenting the clients' case and providing status updates
- Completing deployment related health activities, such as pre-deployment or enhanced post-deployment interviews
- Providing recommendations to the clients' primary care provide on employment limitations based on the clinic interpretation of the clients' health status
- Communicating and liaising with other health care professionals and service agencies such as Veteran's Affairs Canada and Military Family Resource Centres
- Distributing local outreach material such as Mental Health awareness material to bases and units
- Bachelor's degree in nursing from a recognized college or university
- A certificate in Mental Health Nursing or certification in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing from the Canadian Nursing Association (CPMNH(c)
- Licensed and in good standing with College of Nurses of Ontario
- 3 years of experience within the last 5 years in nursing practice performing a variety of mental health nursing activities such as supportive psychotherapy, cognitive behavioural therapy, solution-focused therapy, counselling, and crisis intervention or management in an adult community setting to clients suffering from mental illnesses or psycho-social difficulties.
- Current certification or willingness to obtain CPR Level C with AED
You will be able to obtain a Government Security Clearance at the Reliability level