The Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario (RNAO) is the professional association representing Registered Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, and nursing students in Ontario. The mission of RNAO is to advocate for healthy public policy, promote excellence in nursing practice, and empower nurses to actively influence and shape decisions that affect the profession and the public they serve.
After 22 years, our outstanding Director of Membership and Services is retiring and RNAO is seeking an experienced professional to join our dynamic team as the new Director of Membership and Services.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, you will work collaboratively with all areas of the association to participate in strategic planning and execution to achieve RNAO’s mission and goals. As a member of the Senior Management team, under the direction of the CEO, your responsibilities are to lead the Membership & Services Department and the membership, marketing and customer service functions of the RNAO.
The successful candidate will be a hands-on, self-directed individual with a high degree of initiative, innovation and sound judgment, and a superb capacity to problem-solve. You are a seasoned membership retention and recruitment marketer who identifies with the values and mission of RNAO. You are extremely organized, attentive to detail and can handle a high volume and variety of initiatives. Superb professionalism to liaise with senior executives and members, as well as external and internal stakeholders is required. You apply your knowledge and skills in both traditional (direct marketing) and contemporary (virtual / social media) marketing methodologies. You are a persuasive communicator and get results in both written and verbal form. You are a bridge builder working with volunteers and external stakeholders for win-win outcomes and have demonstrated success leading a program / business portfolio. You have a Master’s degree in Business / Marketing and at least eight years of related experience or equivalent combination of education, experience, and/or training. Demonstrated progressive responsibility at a senior level and managerial experience are required. Salary commensurate with experience and expertise.
At RNAO, the staff is currently working in a hybrid setting. RNAO's policy is that all staff provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
RNAO is dedicated to promoting equity and diversity within its community and creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from qualified individuals who identify as Indigenous, have disabilities, are visible minorities, women, individuals of all sexual orientations and genders, and those with the necessary skills and knowledge to engage effectively with diverse communities.
JOB TITLE: Director, Membership and Services
JOB REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
DEPARTMENT: Membership and Services
DATE PREPARED: October 2023
The primary function of the Director of Membership and Services is to inspire, retain and recruit all RNs, NPs and undergraduate nursing students to be members of the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario.
Membership and Market Analytics
- Analyze membership statistical and demographic information and develop targeted marketing strategies using innovative technologies and evaluating effectiveness.
- Test and produce data-driven analytical reports and fit-to-purpose marketing campaigns, to effectively retain members.
- Identify key factors and market trends that deliver cost-effective recruitment campaigns.
- Evaluate effectiveness and cost efficiency of marketing channels, strategies, and campaigns to increase membership.
- Increase membership of the association by developing, implementing and evaluating annual and seasonal innovative marketing campaigns and strategies to retain and recruit members.
- Create processes, activities, and communication to deliver value for members and increase their retention.
- Create processes, activities, and communication to deliver value for members and increase recruitment of lapsed members
- Identify key factors and market trends that deliver cost-effective recruitment campaigns.
- Oversee and directly engage in the creation of the department's marketing messages and materials for all channels -- including social media -- to promote membership and services of the association and increase membership.
- Ensure superb customer service to enquiries from members, non-members and the public on a timely basis.
- Act as senior staff resource to members, RNs, NPs and nursing students by responding to enquiries, forwarding information and delegating issues to appropriate staff members.
- Continuously monitor member satisfaction, actively addressing member concerns or issues.
- Conduct regular member satisfaction audits.
- Oversee new members onboarding and orientation.
- Develop, manage and evaluate membership engagement programs.
- Lead, in collaboration with CEO, the development, implementation and evaluation of policies and procedures related to membership processes.
Program/Member Benefit Management
- Manage all aspects of RNAO’s professional liability protection (PLP) insurance program.
- Ensure RNAO’s job board, RNCareers, is managed with accuracy and efficiency to increase employer and jobseeker postings and revenue.
- Develop, promote and evaluate member benefits, affinity programs and other membership services to optimize membership benefits and revenue for the association.
- Be up-to-date on industry trends and best practices in association membership management.
- Manage the membership database, ensuring accurate and up-to-date records of all members.
- Represent the association at meetings related to membership development by presenting information, participating as a member and preparing reports about relevant issues.
- Act as staff resource to Member Recognition Award Committee and Interest Group Chairs Committee.
- Liaise with interest groups and engage current and potential interest groups in partnership with the Association.
- Oversee all membership recognition programs and awards by developing, marketing, reviewing, coordinating with selection committees, corresponding with nominees about recipients and arranging awards and speeches where necessary.
- Decision-making is largely non-routine and may impact upon the work unit, association and members.
Departmental Human Resources
- Periodically reviewing and monitoring membership human resource planning, management and evaluation in close collaboration with RNAO CEO.
- Ensure a highly qualified team of staff to effectively support all the programs, projects and activities of the Membership & Services Department and to facilitate a thriving work environment. This includes hiring, orientating, mentoring, monitoring, evaluating and taking corrective action related to the departmental human resources.
- Manage department staff by supervising work, assigning and delegating duties, delivering performance evaluations, and providing guidance and advice.
Senior Management Responsibilities
- Manage department budget and approve expenditures where appropriate.
- Actively and continuously engage the board, senior management team, and home office staff on retention and recruitment activities, communicating tips and following–up on collective accomplishments.
- Collaborate with the finance department to ensure membership fees are collected and recorded accurately.
- Contribute to the RNAO mission, vision and mandate by integrating the work of the Membership & Services Department into other related RNAO initiatives to maximize impact for nursing, health and health care.
- Participate actively in all aspects of the association's operations as part of RNAO’s senior management team.
- Prepare reports for the RNAO CEO reflecting the outputs of the Membership & Services Department as per the established key performance indicators and reporting schedule.
- Maintain confidentiality within and outside the association on extremely sensitive or political issues such as Board of Directors’ reports, PLP and member information.
- Act as the Privacy Officer of the Association.
- Other duties as required by the job.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND EXPERIENCE:
- University degree in Business, marketing or related field and/or at least eight years’ related experience or equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training. Direct marketing skills an asset.
- Communication skills include excellent written and verbal communication skills to provide and prepare information, make presentations, clarify issues, answer enquiries, provide advice and guidance to stakeholders within and outside the association.
- Excellent management and people skills to relate to staff, members, non-members, volunteers, external stakeholders and vendors.
- Superb analytical skills to evaluate programs and trends.
- Superb business acumen and financial expertise required to run the association’s membership and services.
- Proficiency required in information management and technology systems as they apply to the association’s membership and services.
- Proficient in social media utilization and trends.
- Workflow requires meeting deadlines, re-prioritizing work to meet multiple deadlines and working overtime during peak periods to perform the duties of the job.
- Concentration is required for short and long periods of time and is subject to many interruptions to answer telephone enquiries, emails, prepare reports and correspondence, prepare presentations, etc.
- Creativity is needed to develop strategies to respond to member concerns, recruit members and liaise with association stakeholders.
- Travel throughout Ontario as required by the job.
- Sight, touch and hearing are used to read and write correspondence, listen in meetings, respond to telephone enquiries and operate equipment.
- Works in a climate-controlled office with occasional exposure to distractions, interruptions and multiple demands.
- Typical conditions are such that no risk of injury is present.