Family Health Teams (FHT) use a patient-centered approach to primary care that brings together doctors, mental health clinicians, nurse practitioners, registered dietitians, registered nurses, registered practical nurses and pharmacists to coordinate the highest possible quality of care for patients- when they need it – as close to home as possible. FHTs, in collaboration with Family Health Organizations, are a key component of Ontario’s healthcare plan to reduce wait times, improve access to primary care and keep Ontarians healthy.
The nurse practitioner is an integral part of a multi-disciplinary team of physicians, nurses, mental health clinicians, pharmacists, social workers and registered dietitians whose work will increase access to primary care and enhance the quality of life for patients. PFHT currently has full time and part time positions available.
The primary care nurse practitioner will practice within their full scope of practice as outlined in the Standards of Practice by the College of Nurses of Ontario.
Including, but not limited to:
- Complete health assessments including health history and physical examinations
- Provide wellness care and health screening
- Have an openness to learning about and from patients who identify as Transgender/Gender Non Conforming/Non Binary and their allies and a commitment to providing a welcoming and safe environment for them
- Diagnose and treat minor illnesses and injuries
- Screen for and treat chronic illness and monitor stable chronic illnesses
- Care of episodic illness
- Determine the need for, and order and interpret reports of X-Rays, ECGs and diagnostic ultrasound, MRIs and CT scans
- Monitor the ongoing therapy of clients with chronic stable illnesses by providing pharmacological and counseling interventions
- Determine the need for, and the implementation of health promotion and prevention strategies for families and individuals
- Use nursing strategies based on evidence based information
- Formulate and communicate medical diagnosis or disorders
- Consult with a physician in accordance with the standards for physician consultation
- Prescribe medications as appropriate
- Gathering and documenting statistical information as required
- Regular attendance to all FHT/FHO meetings is mandatory
The specific types of patients and any areas of specialty will be established between the nurse practitioner and the collaborating physician(s) as mutually agreed upon.
Family Health Team Nurse Practitioners are encouraged to precept Primary Care Nurse Practitioner students whenever possible. It is recognized by Peterborough Family Health Team that the level of service provided during this period of time will be affected by this added responsibility.
- Current RN registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario in the Extended Class
- Successful completion of the Nurse Practitioner education program
- Minimum 3 to 5 years in community health nursing in a primary care and or rural setting
Additional benefits of joining the Peterborough Family Health Team
- A provincial leader among Family Health Teams in Ontario
- Excellent team/office environment
- Multidisciplinary team expertise
- Organizational commitment to work-life balance
- HOOPP Pension Plan
- Optional Extended Health and Dental Plan
- Life/Disability insurance
- Health Care spending account
The Peterborough Family Health Team are leaders in advocating for full vaccination against the COVID-19 virus and its variants, for persons who are medically able to receive the vaccination. All applicants should know that PFHT employees are expected to support this position.
Interested candidates can email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com by the application deadline.
- Application deadline: Open
- Hours: TBD
- Expected start date: TBD
- Job type: Permanent
- Salary: $108,557-$122,187 per year based on full-time equivalent
The Peterborough Family Health Team is actively committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. The Peterborough Family Health Team offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes.