Consider Your Next Career with the Ministry of the Solicitor General, Ontario Public Service!
The Ontario Public Service is one of the largest employers in the province, with a wide range of exciting career opportunities. We believe in the core values of trust, fairness, diversity, excellence, creativity, collaboration, efficiency and responsiveness. We invite you to join our teams!
We are seeking caring and compassionate Registered Nurses to join our health care team at the Hamilton Wentworth Detention Centre. As a Registered Nurse, you will use your knowledge and skills to provide patient-centred nursing care to offenders.
- The converted hourly rate is $35.21 - $43.90 per hour, and experience will be considered. This is a continuous posting and will be posted until filled. Screening and selection processes will begin after October 23, 2023. This posting may be extended but could close at any time after this date without notice. Please only submit your application ONCE under this Job ID.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code . Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Conduct health assessments for the purposes of triage and on-going care
• Plan for, and provide, health care treatment
• Monitor adherence to treatment plans and response to health care interventions
• Liaise with community care providers to obtain health histories and to facilitate transitional care at discharge for both remand and intermittent inmates
• Participate in case management
• Advocate for, and encourage, patient participation in the plan of care
• Act as a resource for patients, staff and external stakeholders by sharing your knowledge and expertise
• Work collaboratively as a member of the inter-professional team to develop, implement and evaluate patient-specific plans of care
• Contribute to health program development within the institution
• Establish and maintain positive working relationships with other staff members and external stakeholders
• Provide emergency care, acute care, crisis intervention, health teaching, and counselling, when required, both for patients considered medically stable and unstable
• Practise in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario Practice Standards and Ministry expectations
• Practise in accordance with the security requirements of the institution
How do I qualify?
• You must be registered as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario and be in good standing
Nursing Knowledge, Experience and Skills
• You can provide full scope of services to patients with complex health care needs, and/or unpredictable outcomes, including the ability to: elicit, interpret and evaluate information from patients and other sources to complete comprehensive health assessments, and develop treatment and care plans; evaluate patients' responses to planned interventions, and modify interventions in collaboration with the inter-professional team to achieve established goals; address emergency situations and implement appropriate therapeutic interventions
• You have knowledge of professional standards and guidelines, best practice guidelines, and nursing theories, practices and relevant legislation (such as Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act) to develop and provide nursing care, and ensure appropriate treatment is administered
Critical Thinking, Analytical and Organizational Skills
• You can provide emergency care, acute care, crisis intervention, health teaching, and counselling to patients with routine or complex health care needs, and/or unpredictable outcomes
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You can work effectively with staff and patients, advocate on behalf of patients on health care treatments, explain possible side effects of medications and medical treatments, provide health education, and promote and support treatment goals
• You can work as part of an inter-professional team, and use a team approach to deliver care to a diverse patient population
Hours of Work
• The hours of work for the permanent position are 40 hours per week. You are expected to work rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 7 days per week service.
• The hours of work for the temporary positions are 0 to 40 hours per week. You are expected to work rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 7 days per week service.
Salary Range: $1,408.52 - $1,756.03 Per Week
- 1 English Permanent, 165 Barton St E, Hamilton, West Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS 2 English Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months, 165 Barton St E, Hamilton, West Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Corporate Talent Programs Branch, Talent and Leadership Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential. Employees working in congregate living settings may be required to provide proof they are fully vaccinated, meaning they are fully vaccinated as defined by the Ministry of Health (refer to: COVID-19 Fully Vaccinated Status in Ontario ), including 14 calendar days have passed since receiving their final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Employees who do not provide proof of full vaccination will be deemed ‘not vaccinated' under the Employer's policy and may be required to attend a vaccine education program, as determined by the Employer. Employees who are not vaccinated under the policy with a valid medical exemption will not be required to attend a vaccine education program. All employees working in congregate living settings must undergo regular rapid antigen testing, regardless of vaccination status.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 203731, by Friday, December 8, 2023. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.