Position Profile Humber River Health. Lighting New Ways In Healthcare.
Since opening our doors in 2015 as North America's first fully digital hospital and we remain unwavering in our belief that we can change the hospital where we work, the community where we live, and the world of healthcare beyond our borders. Serving a community of 850,000 residents in North West Toronto, Equity Inclusivity and active participation in the North West Toronto Ontario Health Team are key initiatives important to our Team. At Humber River Health, we use a custom combination of technology and clinical expertise to rebuild elements of care. We make technology work for staff and physicians; giving them more time to spend with patients, to eliminate inefficiencies, and to reduce the chance of errors. Humber River Health is formally affiliated with both the University of Toronto and Queen's University and committed to becoming a community academic hospital. Clinical Excellence, Optimizing Care through Technology and Community Connection frame our Research Strategy.
At Humber River Health, we're not hoping for a renaissance, we are making it happen. As part of our dynamic team, you can lead the way, as we continue our journey towards high reliability care!
As an integral team member of the Nephrology Program, there is an opportunity to participate within the Program by utilizing a chronic disease prevention and management (CDPM) and self-management approach and philosophy, as the Program continues to achieve the deliverables under the Ontario Renal Network, and strives to achieve the targets of the Ontario Renal Plan III:
- Empower and support patients to be active in their care
- Integrate patient care throughout the kidney care journey
- Improve patient access to kidney care
Right now we are looking for a Registered Nurse
to work with our Haemodialysis Unit, Nephrology Program.Position Responsibilities:
- All aspects of care for patients receiving hemodialysis in the dialysis unit, long-term care unit, or congregate facilities partnered with HRH
- Provision of acute hemodialysis treatment on inpatient units, ICU, ER, and LTC partners
- Participation in on call rotation for provision of acute hemodialysis treatment
- Providing patient education and follow-up to episodic concerns raised during the dialysis treatment
- Providing comprehensive care to assigned patient that includes but not limited to ensuring plan of care is developed in collaboration with multidisciplinary team, updated and communicated with team in a timely manner
- Current RN registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- BCLS certification upon hire to show proof of valid current certification (Registered Nurses currently employed by HRH are exempted).
- BScN preferred
- Minimum one year acute care experience required.
- Nephrology or Hemodialysis experience is an asset
- Nephrology courses 1 to 4 completed or commitment to complete within an agreed period of time
- Patient assessment course and demonstrated good patient assessment skills
- Experience in peritoneal dialysis an asset
- Demonstrated good interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to work with a multidisciplinary team, including other health team members, patients, family members and visitors
- Demonstrated good patient/family teaching skills
- Ability to prioritize and complete assignments in a reasonable length of time:
- Demonstrated sound judgement, good observation and patient assessment skills, tact and empathy;
- Demonstrated ability to perform appropriately in emergency situations;
- Proven ability to perform a leadership/preceptorship role;
- Physically capable of performing the essential duties of the position;
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to Humber's comprehensive safety programs and practices, including staff patient, and environmental safety, and participation in regular in-service education in this area; and
- Ability to be flexible and effectively work in a busy environment with changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Demonstrated initiative in improving work skills and processes
- Demonstrate competency in a variety of skills including (but not limited to), intramuscular injections, intravenous therapy initiation and discontinuation, blood transfusion, wound care dressing, medication administration, etc.
- Demonstrated proficiency in initiating I.V therapy, I.V push meds and venipuncture
- Basic computer skills and Meditech experience is an asset
- Knowledge of a second language as asset
- On call duties as assigned
- Excellent attendance and discipline free record required.
Manager, Haemodialysis Hiring Salary Range:
$37.93 - $54.37 Hours of work:
Must be available to work rotating 8 & 12 hour shifts, Days/Evenings/Weekends/On-Call Rotation. Location:
Humber River Health - Wilson Site Union:
ONAWhy Humber? Why Now?
Humber River Health is on an exciting transformation journey of redefining patient care, as we leverage the most advanced technologies to enhance all aspects of delivering high-quality, safe care. We continue to build a people-centered workplace with excellent staff and physician engagement by hiring passionate, diverse and inclusive healthcare professionals. People who care and encompass our values of Compassion , Professionalism and Respect . People who are committed to making a positive difference.
We are a Huron Consulting
hospital, focused on building our evidence-based leadership practice and hardwiring a culture that WOWs.
Humber River Health is a member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network
(TAHSN), which is a dynamic network of academic health organizations providing leading edge research, teaching and clinical care.
We have collaborated with TAHSN member institutions in addressing the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. Our membership in TAHSN supports our strategic pillar of advancing Humber River Health as a community academic hospital.
Humber River Health was the recipient of the 2021 Excellence in Patient Safety Award
by the Canadian College of Health Leaders. This award recognizes teams that are committed to improving patient safety within a healthcare environment, through leadership, innovation, culture, and best practises.
Why? Because at Humber River Health, we know it is our people and our ability to innovate that allows us to consistently deliver a great patient experience and the best quality outcomes. After all, we are the hospital that believes exceptional care...healthier community
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by the employee within this position. However, the actual responsibilities, duties, qualifications and experience may vary. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Information contained in this job posting/description is subject to change.
Humber River Health is committed to inclusion and diversity. We believe that diversity drives our culture of innovation. By bringing together a variety of different perspectives, it fuels our creative thinking, generates new ideas and creates solutions designed to address tomorrow's healthcare challenges today. We take pride in providing professional development and career advancement opportunities for our employees including minorities, women, veterans and individuals with physical and developmental disabilities. We also provide accommodation to applicants and all of our employees - from hire to retire. Please be advised that in order to be eligible for employment at Humber River Health, all new hires must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine or combination of COVID-19 vaccines approved by Health Canada (e.g., two doses of a two-dose vaccine series, or one dose of a single-dose vaccine series); AND have received the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the hired employee's first date of employment Medical exemptions or any other kind of requested exemption based upon the Hospital's obligations pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case basis