Registered Nurse (Locum)
Full-Time Temporary Position, 1.0 FTE (35 hours/week), up to 6-month contract
Bargaining Unit – Ontario Nurses Association (ONA)
Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centre (Parkdale Queen West CHC) is a dynamic, community-based health care organization serving mid-west downtown Toronto. Offering a broad range of services, including primary health care, dental care, harm reduction, health promotion, counselling, and community development programming, we are also committed to serving people who face barriers to health care, and we strive to reduce these barriers. PQWCHC is a multi-sited organization.
General Responsibilities: We are currently seeking one Registered Nurse to provide a range of client-centered health care services to individuals, families and communities at all life stages. The RNs will work to their full scope of practice as a member of the interprofessional team. They will work within a harm reduction framework to provide a broad spectrum of health promotion, disease prevention, chronic disease management, education, treatment and supportive care.
Reporting Manager: Manager, Clinical and Allied Health Team
• Triage incoming patient calls. Assess patient health care needs, discuss test results and respond to questions pertaining to health promotion and disease prevention. Redirect calls to booking when necessary
• Maintain the medical record alert system to recall patients for health promotion and disease prevention follow-up such as pap smears, mammograms, FIT testing, and hypertension testing
• Administer and record immunizations and allergy injections and assist in vaccine management
• Assist in Infection Prevention & Control (e.g., instrument reprocessing)
• Perform clinical procedures such as pap tests, suture removal, skin and wound dressings, TB testing, wart treatment, and ear-syringing
• Perform blood pressure checks, assessing response to medications, educating patients and promoting health through blood pressure management
• Participate in home visits and outreach nursing, as required
• Work collaboratively with the health care team in the development, implementation and monitoring of chronic disease management programs around key health issues
• Engage in collaborative community relationships to facilitate patient access to services.
• Assist in the training and development of new staff and nursing students.
• Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from a recognized program
• Current registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO)
• 3 or more years of experience in a community setting or combination of community, hospital or public health
• Experience in primary care or street/outreach nursing an asset
• Experience in emergency response an asset
• Experience in program development, implementation monitoring and evaluation an asset
• Demonstrated ability to de-escalate conflict
• Confidence in asserting and maintaining strong boundaries
• Knowledge of community services and resources; strong advocacy skills
• Proficiency in the use of electronic medical records
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Respects and values the diversity of communities and individuals
Compensation: $62,419 to $74,148 per annum, plus HOOPP (Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan) option.
If you are interested in joining a creative and dedicated team, we want to hear from you! Please send your resume and cover letter in a single document (MS Word or PDF format only) to email@example.com, quoting “RN-Locum PKD Clinic” in the subject line. Please submit application by November 7, 2023. We truly appreciate your interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please also note that the successful candidate will be required to provide a police vulnerable sector check as a condition of employment, however strong consideration is made to the type of offense. Employment is conditional upon having had a full series of COVID-19 vaccinations (2 doses, plus a booster within the past 6-12 months) 14 days before starting employment.