The primary function of the Economist/Health Analyst is to gather information and conduct economic and policy analysis of health care trends to support the strategic direction of the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario.
- monitor economic trends in the health care sector.
- develop regular reports on key budgetary and economic issues in the health care sector.
- provide economic forecasting of labour market trends for nursing and other related fields.
- provide support to Policy, Practice, and Research Board Committees, staff and members of the association as required.
- act as a resource to members, providing information on recent statements and position papers, thereby being aware of critical trends and issues affecting members in different settings.
- assist in planning, coordinating, and marketing conferences or workshops in which the Policy, Practice and Research department is involved.
- mobilize the political influence of RNAO members.
SKILL, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- MA or\PhD in economics, public policy or a related field is required
- The experience required for this position is at least two years in policy economic analysis and a comprehensive knowledge of economic trends.
- strong knowledge of health and social policy issues.
- excellent communication skills include good interpersonal skills to deal effectively with other staff and outside contacts, as well as excellent written and verbal skills to write position papers, present complex information, answer telephone inquiries and support nursing policy and practice by persuading, convincing and selling ideas.
- excellent organizational skills.
- dexterity required to operate a computer, telephone, fax and photocopier and other office equipment.
Economist/Health Analyst continued ...
- work flow requires reacting to unscheduled events, issues, situations or crises that require quick responses to resolve the problems, as well as continuous re-prioritizing of workload, meeting multiple demands and working overtime as required.
- continuous concentration is required to read a large volume of information daily, research, prepare drafts of written reports, briefs, submissions, position papers and statements, to consult as appropriate, as well as creativity to follow through on policies, develop lobbying tactics and prepare responses and positions
- sight, touch and hearing are used to read, proofread, write and analyze information and to answer inquiries
- works in a climate-controlled office environment either inside the building or at other locations, with frequent exposure to distractions, interruptions and stress from multiple demands
- typical conditions are such that no risk or injury is present