Employment Terms: Full-Time, Contract (8 Months)
Start Date: Mid-August 2023
Branksome Hall, a leading independent International Baccalaureate (IB) World School for girls challenges and inspires students to love learning and shape a better world. Through the unique combination of wellbeing, outstanding academics and international mindedness, Branksome Hall students and employees become impactful leaders who give back to their communities. With our values of Sense of Community, Inclusiveness, Creativity and Making a Difference as a foundation, Branksome Hall offers a strong liberal arts curriculum that develops critical thinking and inquiry skills.
Working as a member of the Health Centre, and under the guidance of the Head Nurse, the School Nurse participates in the day-to-day operations of the Health Centre. Building caring relationships with students from JK - Gr. 12, the nurse is responsible for assessment, planning, intervention, evaluation and documentation of student health and well-being.
The Nurse will also work closely with the boarding community, Heads of School, social workers, Learning Strategies and counselling teams, exercising sound judgement and independent decision making in support of student wellbeing.
Key Accountabilities, in partnership with Head Nurse, include, but are not limited to:
Day to Day Health Centre Responsibilities Including:
- Provide assessment and appropriate nursing care within the accepted scope of practice for illness and injury;
- Liaise with administration, teachers, and parents/guardians as needed regarding student care, support, illness and injury;
- Assist the Head Nurse in promoting and organizing the annual Flu Clinic for the boarding community and employees;
- Education and counselling of day and boarding students, as needed, regarding physical health, self-esteem, mental health, personal hygiene, relationships, nutrition, sexual health, in collaboration with the social worker;
- Assess any medical needs or concerns of boarding students, oversee any required treatment plans, communicate with their parents/guardians and provide follow-up care, as required;
- Participate in communicable illness response protocols, including COVID-19, and liaise with public health as required
The School Nurse’s regular working hours will be each Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. as well as sharing “on-call” responsibilities in the evenings and on weekends.
Reporting, Records and Documentation:
- Assist the Head Nurse in ensuring that the Prevalent Medical Conditions List is up to date and readily available;
- Complete Accident/Incident Reports for all school related occurrences;
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date student health care records.
- Registered Nurse (RN) and a member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario with no restrictions to practice;
- 2 - 3 years’ of nursing experience, including experience working with children and adolescents and understanding of age-related growth and development; equivalencies will be considered;
- Experience in a school setting is an asset;
- Knowledgeable about best practices in healthcare, with a keen interest on how these best practices impact young and adolescent girls’ health in a school setting;
- Experience working independently;
- Highly organized with excellent judgement as well as clinical and problem-solving skills;
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills;
- A demonstrated ability to provide emergency as well as routine care;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion;
- Proficient computer skills and competency using existing technology and software.
Why Join Branksome Hall:
- Competitive salary and benefits including pension matching for eligible employees;
- Access to perks such as taxable benefit lunches and generous time off policies including half-day Fridays in the summer for eligible employees;
- Access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources to support wellness, innovation and entrepreneurship such as the fitness center, swimming pools, and makerspaces;
- A collaborative community with a commitment to the growth and development of employees with ongoing professional development and mentorship.
Target Hiring Range: $59,600 - $74,500 per annum (salary is pro-rated based on the duration of the contract)
How to Apply:
To join a leading educational institution and dynamic team, please submit your resume and cover letter. Applications will be reviewed as of August 16, 2023, and the posting will remain active until filled.
Applications (resume and cover letter) will also be received by mail and can be sent to:
Branksome Hall Human Resources
10 Elm Avenue
Branksome Hall is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position. Branksome Hall is strongly committed to diversity, equity and inclusion within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with (dis)abilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas, and champion diversity in its broadest sense. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates engaging in all parts of the recruitment and selection process at Branksome Hall.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about working at Branksome Hall, please visit http://www.thinkerswanted.ca or visit our website at http://www.branksome.on.ca