The Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) is a regulated health care professional who is accountable and responsible for providing quality patient focused nursing care to patients who are identified as less complex, demonstrate more predictable outcomes and are at lower risk for negative outcomes in the Stroke Unit. As part of the interprofessional health care team, the RPN will practice according to the nursing practice expectations set by Osler, the regulatory practice standards of the College of Nurses and the legislative requirements set by the Regulated Health Professions Act.
- Safe nursing practice in all aspects of the nursing process: assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care
- Professional, patient-centred care to ensure patient safety and physiological and psychological well-being
- Providing care in a compassionate and caring manner within a diverse cultural environment
- Practicing according to the infection control and prevention measures
- Responding to emergency situations by recognizing changes in patient's health status and consulting appropriately when necessary using transfer of accountability principles
- Providing health teaching to patients and families including thorough discharge instructions to ensure the continuity of care in the community