Occupational Health Nurse
- Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital - 358010
- Toronto (City), Ontario
- $36.65/hour - $45.92/hour
- Closing date
- Jul 17, 2023
- Registered Nurse
- Work Setting
- Hospital / Health Centre
- Area of Practice
- Occupational Health & Safety
The Occupational Health Nurse will assume responsibility for the delivery of Occupational Health Services and programs. In collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team, the Occupational Health Nurse employs best practice disability management principles to facilitate stay-at-work and/or early-and-safe RTW following worker’s injuries and/or illnesses. Additionally, the Occupational Health Nurse will assume responsibility for the delivery of Occupational Health Services, such as, baseline health assessments and health surveillance in accordance with the OHS/OMA Communicable Disease Surveillance Protocols, immunization programs, N95 respirator fit testing and assist with outbreak control and management.
- Case management of employee’s occupational and non-occupational illness/injuries – WSIB, STD LTD
- Determine an employee’s ability to work by assessing their capabilities and work capacity to the essential job duties.
- Monitor employees’ absences through regular views of medical documents and communication with employees and their healthcare providers to promote early and safe return to work.
- In collaboration with leadership, develop, implement, monitor, and communicate transitional return to work plans and accommodations in consultation with employees, healthcare providers, managers, human resources and applicable unions.
- In collaboration with People and Culture, develop and implement proactive, evidence-based disability/ability management strategies and programs accompanied by effective policy, communication, stakeholder engagement and education.
- Provide direct primary nursing care to all staff - first aid and perform physical assessments of ill/injured staff.
- Promote, monitor, evaluate and respond to the staff absence reporting system. Providing updates to leadership as necessary.
- Perform risk assessments and provide appropriate intervention for needle stick injuries, blood borne pathogen exposures, etc.
- Provide routine TB surveillance for staff with patient contact.
- Conduct new hire employee immunization screening and health history reviews.
- Liaise with Infection Control to identify communicable diseases exposures and outbreaks and complete appropriate follow up for employees as per OHA guidelines.
- Administration of routine vaccines
- Coordinate and implement influenza vaccine campaign/clinics.
- Provide crisis intervention to distressed staff and make appropriate referrals to community facilities or services.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Registration as a Registered Nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Occupational Health Nursing Diploma or Certificate or currently working towards/agreement to work towards.
- A certificate in disability management (CDMP) would be strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated continuous education required to remain current in trends of Occupational Health Nursing
- 3 to 5 years Occupational Health Nursing.
- 3 to 5 years Disability Management experience, preferably in a hospital setting, including strong experience with mental health claims. /Proficiency in venipuncture, subcutaneous and intramuscular injections
- Experience in using physical demands analysis, ergonomic assessments, independent medical examination, or vocational rehabilitation assessments as tools for disability management.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation (e.g., Ontario Human Rights Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, Employment Standards Act, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, etc.)
- Computer literacy with Microsoft Office programs
- Excellent communication, inter-personal, counseling, and leadership skills.
- Exceptional time management, multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Proven ability to exercise sound and timely, professional judgment in complex situations.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in a team environment.
Please apply through our career site at https://hollandbloorview.ca/about-us/working-with-us/current-job-opportunities
Join a world of possibility! Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital creates a world of possibility by supporting children and youth living with disability, medical complexity, illness and injury. Holland Bloorview is a top 40 Canadian research hospital that is fully affiliated with the University of Toronto and serves over 7,500 families annually. Providing both inpatient and outpatient services, Holland Bloorview is renowned for its expertise in partnering with clients and families to provide exceptional care and is the only organization to ever achieve 100 per cent in two successive quality surveys by Accreditation Canada.
Holland Bloorview has won numerous awards including Greater Toronto's Top Employers, Canada's Top Employers for Young People and Canada's Most Admired Corporate Cultures. We offer an inspiring, innovative, and collaborative work environment with competitive compensation and benefit packages and programs that support ongoing learning and professional growth.
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital is a fully affiliated teaching hospital of the University of Toronto and is committed to fostering a climate of equity and diversity and welcomes and respects the diversity of our clients, families, staff, trainees, volunteers, trustees and partners. As part of our commitment to fair and equitable recruitment and selection practices, we encourage applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas within our community.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their application by pressing the "Apply" button near the top of this page. Should you require accommodation during any stage in the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 416-425-6220.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert