- "Ministry of the Solicitor General "
- Milton, Ontario
- $1,736.97 - $2,072.52 Per Week
- Closing date
- Jul 11, 2023
- Nurse Practitioner
- Work Setting
- Other - Work Setting
- Area of Practice
- General Nursing
Consider Your Next Career with the Ministry of the Solicitor General, Ontario Public Service!
The Ontario Public Service is one of the largest employers in the province, with a wide range of exciting career opportunities. We believe in the core values of trust, fairness, diversity, excellence, creativity, collaboration, efficiency and responsiveness. We invite you to join our teams!
The Ministry of the Solicitor General is embarking on a large-scale initiative to modernize Ontario's correctional system, with a focus on enhancing safety and security, infrastructure and services in institutions across the province. Consider a rewarding career in correctional services and join us in making a difference in the lives of individuals in custody and in keeping our communities safe.
The Ministry of the Solicitor General, Maplehurst Correctional Complex and Vanier Centre for Women are seeking caring and compassionate Nurse Practitioners who are passionate about primary health care to become part of the health care team. In addition to primary health care competencies, the ideal candidates will have experience in chronic disease management, pain and symptom management, and mental health and addictions. Your practice will have a focus on health promotion and disease prevention. As a Nurse Practitioner, you will make clinical decisions and plan care as part of an inter-professional health care team.
Please note: We are hiring for 4 permanent positions at the Maplehurst Correctional Complex and 4 permanent positions at the Vanier Centre for Women.
Working as a Nurse Practitioner with the Ministry of the Solicitor General, you will have the opportunity to practise in an environment where you are supported by experienced primary care practitioners, including physicians, nurse practitioners, psychiatrists, nurses, social workers and pharmacists. This is an opportunity to participate as a leader in the continued development of the Nurse Practitioner role, delivering comprehensive health care for people in corrections.
The Ministry of the Solicitor General offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package, including:
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities, including online education and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
NOTE: This is a continuous posting and will be posted until filled. Screening and selection processes will begin after June 2, 2023. This posting may be extended but could close at any time after this date without notice. Please only submit your application ONCE under this Job ID.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code . Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will use your specialized knowledge and skills to provide patient-centred primary care. Specifically, you will:
• Assess, diagnose and prescribe treatment with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention
• Communicate diagnosis and treatment plan options
• Collaborate with an inter-professional team in the development of the patient plan of care, and to develop and implement strategies that promote health and prevent illness
• Advocate for, and facilitate, the principles of self-care by involving offenders in their own plan of care
• Act as a resource for patients, staff and external stakeholders
• Respond to emergency situations and implement appropriate interventions
• Practise in accordance with College of Nurses of Ontario Practice Standards and Ministry expectations
• Practise in accordance with the security requirements of the institution
How do I qualify?
• You are registered as a Registered Nurse Extended Class (Nurse Practitioner) in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
• You have a Nurse Practitioner specialty certificate in primary health care or adult care
Clinical Assessment, Critical Reasoning and Analytical Skills
• You demonstrate clinical expertise and assessment skills to elicit, interpret and utilize information from inmates and other sources
• You can respond to emergency situations and implement appropriate interventions
• You can evaluate responses to treatment and modify the treatment plan to achieve established goals
• You have leadership skills to coordinate and deliver primary health care services, embed quality improvement and lead consultation and engagement with health care staff and partners, as well as internal and external stakeholders
• You have knowledge of illness/disease theory, health promotion and disease prevention, pharmaceuticals, diagnostic and laboratory testing, evidence-based practice and current treatment modalities
• You have knowledge of mental health and addiction treatment options
• You can interpret and apply legislation to practice (i.e., Health Care Consent Act, Personal Health Information Protection Act, Regulated Health Professions Act, etc.)
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You can communicate effectively and present information in a clear and concise manner
• You can document care and progress by preparing progress notes, written treatment plans and clinical summaries
• You can adapt your communication skills to provide information and health teaching to a diverse population
• You can advocate for, and encourage, patient participation in their plan of care
• You can support patients in the implementation and modification of their treatment plan
Hours of Work
• The hours of work are 36.25 hours per week. You are expected to work rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 7 days per week service, up to 24 hours a day.
Salary Range: $1,736.97 - $2,072.52 Per Week
- 4 Permanent - Full Time, 661 Martin St, Milton, Central Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS 4 Permanent - Full Time, 655 Martin St, Milton, Central Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Corporate Talent Programs Branch, Talent and Leadership Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential. Employees working in congregate living settings may be required to provide proof they are fully vaccinated, meaning they are fully vaccinated as defined by the Ministry of Health (refer to: COVID-19 Fully Vaccinated Status in Ontario ), including 14 calendar days have passed since receiving their final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Employees who do not provide proof of full vaccination will be deemed ‘not vaccinated' under the Employer's policy and may be required to attend a vaccine education program, as determined by the Employer. Employees who are not vaccinated under the policy with a valid medical exemption will not be required to attend a vaccine education program. All employees working in congregate living settings must undergo regular rapid antigen testing, regardless of vaccination status.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 198852, by Thursday, July 13, 2023. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert