Consultant, Occupational Health
- City of Mississauga
- Mississauga, Ontario
- $ 85,155.00 - $ 113,541.00
- Closing date
- Jun 5, 2023
- Advanced Practice Nursing, Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Work Setting
Req ID: 23254
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Number of Positions: 1
Closing Date: 04/23/2023
Reporting directly to the Manager - Employee Health Services, the successful candidate will coordinate and assist employees in all aspects of managing their absence due to illness or injury, and return to work. This includes medical documentation review, case management, return to work planning and implementation. Ensure employees receive optimal care when absent from work and identify opportunities to facilitate early and safe return to work as per legislative requirements. Provide health coaching and wellness programming to promote behaviours that support good physical and mental health of employees.
This position will be required to work in a hybrid work arrangement (work from home and some work in office).
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
- Perform comprehensive assessment of medical and functional documentation in preparation for efficient claim adjudication by corporate physician and the development/review of modified work plans. Identify, manage and coordinate documentation required for both internal and external disability benefits programs. Monitor, make recommendations and evaluate employee's progress in the program and make recommendations to support employees' return to full regular duties or permanent alternate placement. Assess and coordinate need for additional testing, third party assessment and treatment. Liaise with medical professionals, employees, insurer and supervisor to discuss, clarify and gather appropriate details to determine issues impacting recovery and return to work. Organize/coordinate stay at work/return to work plans. Lead/support wellness initiatives such as monthly wellness topics, vaccination clinics, employee health, wellness and safety fair, health and wellness sessions. Employee health coaching for various medical conditions and health enhancement. Confidentially maintain employee’s health files, and ensure necessary consent to share medical information as necessary. Ensure compliance with Human Rights Code, absence policies and practices, LTD contract, Occupational Health and Safety Act, WSIB and various collective agreements. Comply with relevant City policies. Maintain current knowledge in fields of disability management and health promotion Provide ad hoc assistance on projects/initiatives within the unit/team.
Skills and Qualifications
- Registered Nurse (RN) with the College of Nurses of Ontario Disability management education e.g. Occupational Health Nursing Certification, NIDMAR, with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience, including claims related to mental illness. Demonstrated knowledge of Short Term and Long Term Disability insurer adjudication process. Comprehensive assessment skills of medical documentation and knowledge of various treatment programs for various medical conditions Knowledge of relevant legislation e.g. Human Rights Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, and PHIPPA, as they relate to claims management and workplace accommodation. Current Standard First Aid Certificate with adult CPR and AED Proficient communication skills (written and oral), including ability to present information and facilitate discussion in a group setting. Relationship management skills to foster positive relationships with e.g. employees who are recovering from illness or injury, supervisors, HR staff, unions, and 3rd party provides. Proficient computer skills eg. Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Powerpoint. General computer skills for data inputting, running queries and reports within claims management system. May require some light lifting of supplies/materials. Primarily office environment (hybrid) with some local travel to client groups' work location for return to work planning or health promotion initiatives.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 85,155.00 - $ 113,541.00 Hours of Work: 08:30- 16:30
Work Location: Civic Centre
Department/Division/Section: CPS/Corporate Services Dept , CPS/HR Division , Healthy Workplace
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
Who we are
Working at the City of Mississauga means you will be part of a team of amazingly talented and motivated people. Watch how our team makes a difference in the lives of our residents.
How we work and communicate is a key part of who we are and helps define not only what we do but how we do it. Our spirit and culture is defined by 5 characteristics:
- Open and engaging: We have a welcoming and supportive attitude and are always looking to find new solutions and create opportunities.
- Vibrant: We are dynamic and bold. We are connected and engaged with our many communities and are always looking for ways to celebrate the rich culture of our people, neighbourhood and communities.
- Optimistic: We look towards the future with a positive can-do attitude and are committed to making great things happen.
- Collaborative: We are open to new partnerships, co-creation and working with individuals and groups that share our values and vision for Mississauga.
- Effective: We are focused on finding solutions and know how to get things done.
Our people are the key to the City's success. To attract, motivate and retain our employees, we offer a competitive package that could include:
- Competitive salaries
- Health and dental benefit coverage
- OMERS pension plan
- Flexible and alternative work arrangements
- Career development and training
- Tuition assistance program
- Employee and family assistance program
- Employee discounts such as gym membership, MiWay transportation and community events
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert