- William Osler Health System
- Brampton, Ontario
- Competitive + Benefits
- Closing date
- Apr 25, 2023
- Nurse Practitioner
- Work Setting
- Hospital / Health Centre
- Area of Practice
Nurse Practitioner – One (1) Full Time
Program Admin Surgical - Brampton Civic Hospital
POSTING NUMBER: REF1386E
HOURS: Days 8 hours, including weekends and statutory holidays
(Subject to change in accordance with operational requirements)
HOW YOU WILL HAVE AN IMPACT:
The Nurse Practitioner is accountable to the Director Surgical and Ambulatory Services.
The Thoracic Surgery Nurse Practitioner possesses a Master's degree in nursing from an approved Nurse Practitioner (NP) program in accordance to the College of Nurses of Ontario. The NP demonstrates a comprehensive knowledge base in Surgical Care, exhibiting a high degree of clinical competence in caring for thoracic surgical patients with acute and specialized healthcare needs. The NP scope of practice incorporates the skills and knowledge from the disciplines of nursing and medicine. Working in collaboration with a physician or group of physicians, the NP manages, directs and provides comprehensive care for a select patient population in a collaborative interdisciplinary team environment. The NP provides comprehensive patient care using advanced assessment skills and a sound knowledge of clinical therapeutics and provides indirect patient care services to support patient care, promote professional education, and advance knowledge through research and scholarly activities. All duties and responsibilities of the NP conform to professional practice standards and hospital guidelines and are in accordance with a written practice agreement (medical directives) with physician members of the medical staff at William Osler Health System.
The Division of Thoracic Surgery at WOHS is seeking a Full-time Nurse Practitioner, preferably with Thoracic Surgery experience, to partake in Thoracic Surgery in-patient and ambulatory care. The successful candidate will join a dynamic team of 3 thoracic surgeons, nurses, and support staff. Osler Thoracic Surgery Division is a Cancer Care Ontario Level One Centre, providing the full spectrum of state of the art Thoracic Surgery for benign and malignant diseases. The NP will interact daily to manage, direct and provide comprehensive care for the Thoracic Surgery patient population in an exciting collaborative interdisciplinary team environment.
The Division of Thoracic Surgery is sited at Brampton Civic Hospital. The division also covers the Osler Etobicoke General Hospital Site.
NURSE PRACTITIONER THORACIC SURGERY RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Participate in the development of and work under current medical directives for the program.
- Provide and evaluate holistic patient care based on advance nursing and medical management knowledge and skills.
- Exhibit knowledge of evidence-informed guidelines, legislation, regulation and organizational policies when prescribing.
- Demonstrate an understanding of best practices related to the care of pre and post-op thoracic surgery patients.
- Collect and compile patient data for the National Thoracic Quality database while following organizational guidelines related to the use of patient data.
- Excellent communication, decision-making, problem-solving, conflict management and time management skills.
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively in an inter-professional team environment.
- Perform comprehensive care using advanced health assessment, physical examination, therapeutic management, consultation, collaboration and referrals in accordance to the Practice Standard: Nurse Practitioner (2018).
- Maintain client records for accuracy and confidentiality.
- In collaboration with the Thoracic Surgeons provide support to post-op inpatients and the inpatient surgical units.
- Proficient in computer skills and experience with electronic medical record systems (i.e. Meditech).
- Ability to travel between hospital sites.
- Successful completion of Master’s Degree in Nursing (MScN)
- Nurse Practitioner Primary Care or Nurse Practitioner Adult certificate
- College of Nurses of Ontario: Registered Nurse Certificate of Competence with Extended Class
- Current Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers course: BLS-HCP(C); ACLS preferred
- Current member of Nurse Practitioners’ Association of Ontario (NPAO) through Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (RNAO) preferred
- Minimum 5 years recent related experience required; surgical experience required
- Recent experience collaborating with external agencies and community partners preferred
- Advanced presentation skills including the application of adult learning principles, change theory and systems theory in a clinical environment
- Proficiency with computer programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, Internet, Power Chart and GroupWise
- Previous experience as a Nurse Practitioner is an asset
- Thorough understanding and commitment to Patient and Family Centred Care principles and ability to use in practice
- Ability to recognize own feelings, express them fully and constructively manage own feelings in challenging and emotionally charged situations
- Ability to express ideas clearly, confidently and directly and work through conflicts and differences in a respectful way
- Ability to understand the feelings, concerns and needs of other people, demonstrate care and interest towards them and establish and maintain productive relationships
- Ability to stay effective and resilient when dealing with adverse circumstances and multiple demands
- Ability to demonstrate an optimistic disposition toward new experiences and change in general
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to patient and staff safety at WOHS
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis
* In order to be considered for this position, you must include a current resume with your on-line application.
** Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted **
Please apply online at www.williamoslerhs.ca
Patient-inspired health care without boundaries
William Osler Health System (Osler) is an accredited hospital system comprised of Brampton Civic Hospital, Etobicoke General Hospital and Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health and Wellness. Osler also operates a unit at the Reactivation Care Centre at the Humber River Hospital – Church site and a Withdrawal Management Centre in Brampton. Together, we provide patient-inspired care to 1.3 million people in Brampton, Etobicoke and surrounding communities, serving one of the fastest-growing and most culturally diverse regions in Ontario.
Guided by our 2019-24 Strategic Plan, Going Beyond for Healthier Communities, we're shifting traditional thinking and reimagining care to help people live healthier lives, reduce chronic disease and more easily access the services they need.
We are committed to providing safe, equitable, high-quality care in an environment that inspires our staff, physicians and volunteers to learn, innovate and grow. We are proud to have been recognized for many consecutive years as one of Greater Toronto's Top Employers and Canada's Best Diversity Employers.
Our promise is Going Beyond:
- We go above and beyond the expected.
- We go beyond traditional solutions.
- We reach beyond our walls to work with partners.
- We look beyond the condition and see the person.
Osler has started an exciting three-year journey to become a globally-recognized Best Practice Spotlight Organization (BPSO) after being selected as a BPSO candidate by the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (RNAO) following an extensive application process. As an organization committed to delivering safe, compassionate, high-quality care, Osler’s journey to achieve BPSO designation highlights our continued commitment to deliver the highest standards of care to our patients, every time.
2100 Bovaird Dr
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert