At Guelph General Hospital, we are committed to our Mission of Together, a healthier community for everyone.
Living our values is important here and if you want to join a team that is compassionate, inclusive, respectful, collaborative and inspired, you can see more details about the position currently available below.
*In addition to the hourly rate of pay, this role receives a premium of $2.00/hour, as part of the government funded PSW incentive Position Summary:
The Personal Support Worker (PSW) provides support to the nursing staff in providing high quality, safe, effective and evidence-based care in partnership with patient and families and GGH's mission, vision, values and policies.
The PSW supports the patient's experience and care outcomes by:
In this role, you will:
- Having a strong focus on client safety and ethical standards
- Developing respectful working relationships with patients and families to meet their care needs
- Respectful of the dignity and individuality of each patient
- Providing personal care to meet the physical, psychological, social, and spiritual needs of each patient observing, assessing, and reporting changes in patients' behaviors and activities
- Participating in a multidisciplinary team environment
- Have ongoing opportunities to learn and grow with a generous professional development program via our education assistance fund and in-house development programs
- Have access to an amazing total rewards package which includes competitive pay, health and dental benefits, Short and long term disability and the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) where we match your contributions by 126%
- Be a part of an organization committed to the well-being of our workforce
- Support the Guelph Wellington Ontario Health Team's commitment to anti-racism and anti-oppression through our actions
- Be a part of a team of high performing health care professionals
Guelph is the perfect location for health care professionals seeking to make the most of life's experiences. From our expansive trails and waterways to internationally recognized arts and cultural events, to diverse restaurants and craft breweries, the Royal City has something for everyone
Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- It's one of Ontario's most robust and growing economies
- You will have access to excellent schools which include a university and college
- There are multiple centres of faith reflected in the community
- Personal Support Worker (PSW) Certificate from a Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care approved program
- BLS (Basic Life Support) certification
- Experience with electronic documentation, preferably in Meditech
- Intermediate computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated knowledge of WHMIS, Emergency Codes and Privacy Legislation
- Knowledge and experience following universal precautions and infection control practices
- Experience providing and supporting patients with Activities of Daily Living by assisting with personal hygiene (bathing, dressing, hair care, mouth care, nail care, and shaving)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a self-directed manner as well as collaboratively within a team, in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service when interacting with patients, families, colleagues and physicians
- Physically capable of performing lifts, turns, transfers and transporting of patients
- Knowledge and experience with ensuring skin integrity and reducing pressure injuries
- Experience assisting with comfort measures and patient safety by ensuring the environment is clean, tidy and free of hazards
- Demonstrates excellent problem-solving, decision making and critical thinking
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
Come and join our team if you are looking for an exciting opportunity where you will be support and empowered.
All positions at GGH contribute to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors. GGH is committed to fostering a safe and healthy work environment which provides equal opportunities to people with disabilities. In pursuit of GGH's vision of together, a healthier community for everyone, all employees are responsible for practicing the values of being compassionate, inclusive, respectful, collaborative, and inspired to provide the highest quality care and experience for patients and their families.