Casey House is unlike any other hospital. We are a specialty hospital providing ground-breaking care for people living with and at risk of HIV. We offer a growing mix of inpatient, outpatient and community-based services that meet clients where they are in their individual journeys to health and wellness. The humanity of each client is at the heart of everything we do.
To support us in this work, we are committed to building a team that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve, including 2SLGBTQ+, Indigenous, Black, and other racialized communities, and those living with HIV. If you require an accommodation at any point in the recruitment process, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Position: Registered Nurse
Reports to: Clinical Leader, Inpatient unit
Status: Full-time permanent (OPSEU bargaining unit)
Hours of work: 12 hours shifts within a 24-hour staffed hospital environment (days and nights required)
About the Opportunity:
We are presently recruiting for a full-time registered nurse to support the hospital’s inpatient unit and be accountable for direct client care.
Develop your mental health and harm reduction skills in a small inpatient unit housed in a new light-filled, purpose-built facility. Nurses work in partnership with physicians and an allied health team to provide values-led care for 14 patients with diverse needs. Engage in bedside nursing with a harm reduction approach to care for clinically complex medical issues, including opportunistic infections, early aging, oncologic and cardiovascular health concerns often coupled with psychiatric and substance use challenges. Casey House is the first to offer hospital-based supervised consumption services (SCS), available right on the unit.
A successful Casey House inpatient nurse blends their skills and abilities to build therapeutic relationships who delivers strong primary, harm reduction, and palliative nursing skills to optimize client outcomes.
More specifically, your responsibilities in this role will entail, but are not restricted to:
- Develop meaningful nurse-client relationships by using a harm reduction, anti-oppressive, social justice and trauma-informed framework.
- Participate in a wide range of client care, including but not limited to; infectious disease investigations, mental health and substance use support, overdose responses, wound care, phlebotomy, post-surgical care, radiation/chemotherapy care, palliative and end of life care.
- Work within an inter-professional team, with meaningful daily collaboration among team members to support and maintain high quality care.
- Ensure standards of client care are maintained through evidence-informed practice and participation in continuous quality improvement.
- Continuous pursuit of ongoing professional development activities including but not limited to seminars, workshops, internal/external education programs/groups/series and professional affiliations.
- Alignment to values, strategic directions and mission of Casey House and able to practice care within these parameters.
- Current member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario. Membership in RNAO, CANAC and/or ANAC an asset.
- Minimum of one year of general nursing experience preferred.
- Experience in HIV/AIDS, mental health and addiction care is an asset, but not required.
- Good understanding of the principles of client-centred care (e.g. autonomy, self-determination).
- Strong nursing assessment skills.
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology.
- Highly developed conflict resolution, critical thinking, decision-making and problem solving skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills & demonstrated capacity to work within a well-defined interdisciplinary team.
About the Benefits:
- Full alignment to ONA wage band
- Participation in Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
- Competitive personal entitlement plan
- Comprehensive benefits provided by Manulife, including extended health, dental, life insurance and LTD coverage
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Free on-site indoor parking 6PM to 8AM daily
- Indoor secured bicycle parking
If you want to join a compassionate team that's making a difference in your community - Apply Now!
Most importantly, you will join us with an open mind, and a compassionate and empathetic desire to make a positive difference in your community.
Please be aware that Casey House has adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires all staff to be fully vaccinated, or for those not able to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, provide medical documentation and undertake point of care antigen testing no later than 48 hours prior to the start of each shift.
This posting will remain open until 11:30PM on February 28, 2022 or until filled.