Reporting to the Clinical Director, Syl Apps Youth Center with a matrix report to the Director of Nursing Leadership, the Nurse Practitioner/Manager - Wellness Department is responsible for providing psychiatric and medical care for youth as well as managerial support to the Wellness Nursing Team. You will work collaboratively within our interdisciplinary team to ensure a holistic approach to care in our Secure Treatment facility.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provision of medical care and where appropriate and required, psychiatric care for youth at SAYC. The key responsibility of this role is acting as primary care practitioner and liaising with specialists and/or general practitioners to ensure the health needs of clients are effectively met through evidence informed best practices. This includes diagnosis, ordering and interpretation of diagnostic tests, and prescribing medications and other treatments for clients. Scope of practice also includes health promotion with the aim of optimizing the health of people, families, communities and populations.
- Ensuring that nursing practice at SAYC meets College of Nurses of Ontario standards and adheres to Kinark policy and procedures and processes.
- Providing leadership to the nursing team which includes, integration and collaboration with the interprofessional team to ensure the best outcomes for the clients. Additionally, the role is responsible for the identification and operationalization of innovative changes to care delivery with the goal of enhancing seamless, integrated care which will support a full scope of professional nursing practice. Recruitment, retention, scheduling and performance goal attainment and management of the Nursing team is included in this role.
- Supporting quality improvement initiatives while advancing site and corporate strategic priorities through the development of standard operating procedures, policies, and practice guidelines. These initiatives include the development and evaluation of, and guidelines related to, the medical psychiatric, medical and other health needs of youth receiving care at SAYC.
- Identify, support ongoing professional growth and development, and where appropriate, provide educational opportunities to enhance nursing knowledge with respect to professional nursing practice and care. Participate in the education of allied health regarding health issues and health-supporting practices where appropriate.
- Graduate from an approved Nurse Practitioner (NP) program with a Master’s degree or a Nurse Practitioner Certificate.
- Current membership in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario in the Extended Class (RNEC).
- Certification in Psychiatric Mental Health nursing would be an asset.
- Excellent clinical nursing skills with a minimum 2 years experience in psychiatric-mental health nursing.
- Strong working knowledge of adolescent mental health.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and abilities.
- Knowledge of professional standards, Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, Privacy legislation.
- Excellent communication and demonstrated interpersonal skills.
- Travel is required for this position, the successful incumbent must have a valid Ontario driver’s license, access to a reliable vehicle and be willing to obtain automobile insurance which includes driving for business purposes with a minimum liability of one million dollars.
- Candidates Bilingual in English and French will be given special consideration
Kinark Child and Family Services conditions of employment include but are not limited to successful Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening, completed Pre-Employment Medical certificate, and proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. Fully vaccinated is defined as having received all required doses of a World Health Organization Approved COVID-19 Vaccine at least one of which being approved for use in Canada and 14 days have passed since your last dose. Proof of vaccination for each vaccine dose received is required.
Kinark Child and Family Services is a leading child and youth service organization in Ontario on a mission to become an employer of choice. We provide a wide range of evidence-based services that include individual, family and group counselling for children and youth with complex needs and their families. Kinark’s three program streams include: Community-Based Child and Youth Mental Health, Autism and Forensic Mental Health.
Are you interested in working for a leading organization helping children and youth with complex needs?
Come join our team!
What we offer:
- Competitive salary, comprehensive health and dental benefits, and other employment perks
- Flexible work arrangement supporting employee work life balance
- Employer Matching Defined Contribution Pension Plan up to 6%
- Employee Wellness Program
- Extensive Educational and Training Opportunities and Supports
- Supportive work environment with regular Supervision and Feedback
- Renowned Accredited Clinical Programs
Kinark Child and Family Services values inclusivity and diversity in the workplace. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds. We are committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at email@example.com or (905) 474-9595.
While we thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Any information obtained during the course of recruitment will be used for employment recruitment purposes only, and not for any other purpose.