REGISTERED NURSE MEDICAL ANALYST
CONTRIBUTING TO THE CMPA
The Safe Medical Care Research department performs acquisition, abstraction, and capture of clinically oriented medical legal data. The department analyses and interprets the data to generate knowledge that supports the activities and knowledge translation of the Safe Medical Care Learning department. The Safe Medical Care Research department also responds to internal and external requests for data analysis. The department studies historical data to identify individual provider, team and system factors associated with medical-legal risk, researches trends, and evaluates the performance and impact of education programs. The department synthesizes evidence and disseminates its research findings by authoring reports, risk management and educational materials in collaboration with CMPA’s physician advisors, general legal counsel, and the Communications department.
The Registered Nurse Medical Analyst (internal title: Medical Analyst) is an integral part of the research activities of the Department of Safe Medical Care Research in the Research & Analytics group. This group is engaged in innovative research of medico-legal data to develop themes of needed areas of focus in patient safety and quality improvement. The Medical Analyst is an integral member of a multidisciplinary team involved in knowledge generation and knowledge translation for program and content development. The incumbent performs in-depth analysis of large amounts of medico-legal files with a keen eye for medical risk information. Using coding principles, the incumbent synthesizes and accurately represents file information within a corporate data repository for future analysis.
- Review content of medical case files and code in accordance with departmental coding practices and guidelines.
- Identify from the medical file, the diagnoses, interventions, contributing factors and all other pertinent information.
- Provide clinical/medical expertise on topics and specific research projects within the department that will promote and ensure high standards of data capture and analysis and optimize knowledge transfer capabilities.
- Participate actively in discussions with colleagues on matters concerning optimisation of techniques to ensure data integrity issues, coding of files and data extraction.
- Through continuous professional development and training, maintain detailed knowledge within medical specialty in order to be able to provide leadership, knowledge and expertise to the Research & Analytics team.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 4 year Bachelor in Nursing Science (or equivalent combination of Diploma and additional work experience)
- Registered Nurse designation and registration with the College of Nurses
- A minimum of 10 years relevant clinical nursing experience
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Excellent judgement and synthesizing skills
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience and/or knowledge of file review techniques, assessment of risk content within files and coding of files.
- Familiarity with MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Familiarity with National and International Coding standards in the medical field (ICD-CCI).
- Extensive knowledge within a medical, surgical or obstetrics specialty.
- Familiarity with medico-legal risk management.
- Familiarity with continuous quality improvement and/or quality management principles.
- Experience and/or knowledge of research methodology is an asset
- Familiarity with chart audits or performing case chronologies would be an asset.
- Strong reading, writing and interpretation abilities in English.
- Ability to read and interpret French is strongly preferred.
- Job Type: Regular Full-Time Opportunity
- Salary Range: $70,305 to $98,427 annually - role classified as level 08
- Location: Fully Remote job, working from a home-based office anywhere in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec
- Skills Assessment: Selected candidates may be required to complete a skills assessment
- Application Deadline: by 4:00PM EST on Friday, October 7, 2022