POSTING #: NU-2022-35
Posting Period: September 14 – October 3, 2022
EMPLOYEE GROUP: Non-Union
POSITION STATUS: Permanent Full-Time
Hours worked per week: 35
Position: Associate Director of Nursing
Wage Range: $91,949 - $103,430 / annum (January 2022)
Department / Division: Corporate & Social Services / Grandview Lodge
Location: Dunnville, ON
We Are Hiring!
Located on the Niagara Peninsula in Southern Ontario, Haldimand County is a single-tier municipality with diverse urban and rural communities, an endless supply of four-season outdoor activities and an outstanding quality of life. We’re currently looking for an Associate Director of Nursing to join the growing team at Grandview Lodge, an award-winning, nationally accredited 128-bed long-term care home in Dunnville. As Associate Director of Nursing, you will play a key role on our Long Term Care leadership team and contribute to the well-being of all residents by employing compassionate and innovative approaches to care. Our diverse team of responsive and dedicated professionals are committed to resident safety and enhancing residents’ physical, social, and recreational well-being/quality of life. The ideal candidate for the Associate Director of Nursing position is an experienced, dedicated self-starter with natural leadership abilities and proven experience building and maintaining a cohesive work team within the healthcare sector.
The County believes in encouraging our employees to contribute to meaningful work that makes a positive difference. Joining our team opens the door to a rewarding career where the health and wellness of our employees, families, and communities is vital to the success of our workplace. The municipality’s dedication to work/life balance, wellness programs, employee recognition programs, learning and development opportunities, competitive salaries and benefits are a few of the reasons why you should join us today!
If you want to become a leader in your field and take your career to new heights, let's talk and build something great. For more information on our premier long term care facility, please visit our website at
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Director of Nursing, the incumbent will:
- Provide leadership and day to day supervision to Nursing staff of Grandview Lodge to ensure quality care is provided to Residents ensure consistency with professional standards of practice, continuous quality improvement in meeting the nursing and personal care requirements of the home; and Provide safe, resident focused, quality nursing services in the Long Term Care Home to residents, while ensuring compliance with Ministry, legislative, and corporate expectations.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- University degree (BScN - Registered Nurse currently registered and in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario.)
- Minimum of five years related experience, preferably with at least two years of that experience in long term care (experience with the accreditation process, infection prevention and control, quality assurance, and risk management, would be assets).
Or equivalent to that combination.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Good understanding of municipal government, its operations and services and legislation that affects the divisional responsibilities
- Sound technical knowledge relative to accountabilities, to provide leadership and supervision from a clinical perspective
- Sound understanding of legislation, regulations relative to area of responsibility
- Demonstrated project management skills
Sound understanding of Accreditation processes and Required Organizational Practices
- to participate in quality management activities and ensure activities carried out are in alignment with the home’s strategic plan and with a focus to continuously improve clinical care practices and resident care
Good knowledge of business processes and financial management methods
- to assist with the development of Division and Unit goals and objectives
- to assist with the development of Division budgets
- to work within approved budgets
- to recommend and / or take appropriate action to maintain sound financial positions
- to establish and maintain relations with others (County staff, peers within other organizations, agencies / organizations)
- to increase staff morale, team building, team spirit and community pride
- to resolve work-site complaints / disputes / issues and manage contractors, consultants
- to foster effective interpersonal relationships between residents, families and other interdisciplinary health team members in relation to nursing and clinical care
Research, analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- to enable the assessment of issues / situations, develop options and make decisions necessary for the effective and efficient operation of work unit
- to provide guidance and direction to assigned staff
- to provide direction and motivation to staff and project teams, to develop staff skills, knowledge and abilities, to create a constructive, results-oriented work environment where positive performance is rewarded and inappropriate / inadequate performance is constructively managed
- to coach and instruct staff in the philosophy of the home and with respect to clinical best practices.
Communication skills (listening, writing, verbal)
- maintain open two-way communication with staff for the benefit of the residents and the organization
- to prepare required written reports, correspondence, documentation and present as necessary
- to ensure solid understanding of work requirements, work guidelines
- to encourage and sustain consensus building to make decisions
Time Management / organization skills
- to identify priorities, re-arrange work if required
- to meet identified deadlines
- Valid Ontario Drivers license and access to a reliable vehicle.
Level 3 - The incumbent must possess introductory and intermediate level computer skills scored at 65% or higher for Outlook and at least one of Word / Excel / PowerPoint to ensure their:
- proven ability to apply essential functions of desktop software to create simple spreadsheets, documents,
- send and receive emails,
- use Internet for research, file management,
- and/or require introductory to intermediate knowledge of department or division-specific software to accomplish job tasks.
Accountabilities / Tasks
The incumbent is expected to:
- Follow the GVL philosophy of delivering care to Residents by utilizing a variety of modalities including but not limited to Montessori and GPA principles.
- Communicate with Residents, visitors and other personnel in a courteous manner.
- meets with residents, and/or families to resolve concerns related to the nursing department
- ensure Resident's Bill of Rights are respected
- Follow the guidelines set out by provincial legislation directly related to Long Term Care.
Include but are not limited to:
- Contributes to the development of appropriate policies and procedures to assist staff to efficiently and safely complete all assigned work
- Administer Grandview Lodge’s Attendance Support and Absenteeism Program for the nursing department
- Ensure that corporate goals and objectives are always in consideration while work is being performed
- Liaise between the Medical Director and Registered staff, and follow up with appropriate information to all disciplines and the Director of Nursing
- Manages projects and activities required for the successful completion of approved goals and objectives and supervises staff working on the project
- Educate staff on the nursing goals and objectives as they relate to ongoing charting and best practices for delivering care to the residents
- Administers applicable legislation and regulations relevant to the function; including relevant collective agreements and other corporate policies
- Follow up on the outcomes of audit programs as they relate to Nursing Best Practices, Quality Improvement in delivery of care to the Residents and Ministry of Health Inspection Protocol
- Monitor practices to ensure compliance with applicable legislation and regulations relevant to the nursing function; (specifically, Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and Ministry of Labour requirements)
- Supports and facilitates the implementation and evaluation of mandatory programs under the Long Term Care Act including skin and wound, falls, pain, restraints, and continence
- At the direction of the Director of Nursing, assists in the development, implementation, education of appropriate policies and procedures including monitoring and reporting systems that ensure the safety and well being of residents.
- Overseeing the performance of Registered Nurses, Registered Practical Nurses and Personal Support Workers
- Advocating for change within the home and fostering an environment that is person-centered, proactive and open to new ideas;
- Approve Nursing Staff schedules prior to posting to ensure appropriate levels of trained nursing care are available at all times.
- Maintains a system of care assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation at the resident and unit program level that maximizes staff resources and contributes to Grandview Lodge’s interdisciplinary team approach to resident care
- Ensures security and confidentiality of personal health records and other sensitive information relative to residents conditions and care;
- Responsible for hiring, supervising, appraising and disciplining assigned staff. Ensures that all assigned staff receives proper orientation, in-service education and on-the-job training.
- Applies sound human resource management practices (recruitment, development and performance evaluation) in accordance with approved policies to ensure an effective team.
- Assists staff in resident care in times of emergency to instruct staff on improving care methods or when assistance is required by staff
- Liaise with the Employee Wellness Supervisor with respect to workplace accommodations and the return to work process.
- Initiates investigative and corrective actions related to occupational health and safety; develops and monitors modified work programs for nursing personnel in collaboration with the Employee Wellness Supervisor.
- Provide direction to nursing staff with current defined goals and objectives
- Ensures staff, County or contracted services, understand and safely conduct work within applicable Acts, regulations, approved County policies and procedures
- Researches and prepares / drafts reports to/for the DON on current projects, conditions, issues, making recommendations as required; presents information at public meetings, staff meetings as necessary
- Ensures records for all projects / work undertaken are current accurate and complete and that documentation is readily retrievable
- Represents Grandview Lodge at relevant meetings
- Practices effective public relations to sustain the positive image of the Corporation in Haldimand County
- Establish and maintain relationships with counterparts in other Municipal governments, and ensure cooperative relations with Staff, other levels of government and agencies
- Assist DON with budget preparation.
- Undertake tasks / work assignments as directed by DON or designate
- Assume the responsibilities of the Director of Nursing when delegated or required, including 24/7 availability when there is no Registered Nurse in the Home as per the requirements set out in the relevant legislation and regulations.
All Haldimand County employees are expected to:
- work safely and respect others in the work place maintain confidentiality work within policies and procedures determined by Haldimand County and / or legislation relative to the function
This position requires:
- a current (within the past 6 months) Police Check YES – OPP LE 220E
- COVID-19 vaccine (must be fully vaccinated) YES
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Accommodation is available for any applicant with a disability, as it relates to the recruitment process of this position. Upon request, Haldimand County will consult with the applicant and provide, or arrange for the provision of a suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs due to disability.
As per current Legislation, if it is determined that those employees with priority placement status are suitable for this job, before a selection decision has been made, this competition may be cancelled.