Resident Care Coordinator Position
It’s been a hard couple of years to be working in healthcare. If you are still in it because you love nursing and want to create an environment where nurses feel appreciated and supported, we would like to meet you. Maybe you need a change from an intense, busy setting to a slower, more peaceful environment. We are located on a tranquil 12-acre rural estate just west of Clinton with a reflection pond out front and a 5-acre woodlot out back. Have a look at this short video tour to view the property and the residence.
Although the setting helps, in the end, if what matters most to you is the care that is provided, it’s also what matters most to us. Residents and their families can’t believe the quality of care they get as our four-bed residence is staffed around the clock by an RN and RPN with further support from welcoming volunteers. Have a listen to Bill as he describes what it was like when he and his wife, Joyce, were with us.
We are looking for a fulltime, experienced nurse manager to be part of our team. Are you someone who would work hard to support the delivery of high quality, safe, effective, efficient, and fiscally accountable care? Even more, do you love creating an environment where nurses want to come to work and where compassion and kindness are the basis of our interactions with each other and those we serve?
We are also open to the possibility of a job-share with one manager responsible for Human Resources & Administration and another responsible for Clinical Leadership & Admissions. If you are interested in discussing this part-time shared model, either on your own or with a valued colleague, please contact the executive director (email@example.com) to explore this on the understanding that the application and vetting process would still apply.
POSTED: August 15, 2022
- Current registration as a Registered Nurse in good standing with the Ontario College of Nurses.
- Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care (Fundamentals), Comprehensive Advanced Palliative Care Education (CAPCE), Certificate Learning Essential Approaches to Palliative and End of Life Care (LEAP) certified or commitment to become certified within six months of employment.
- Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Nurse Certificate is considered an asset.
- In-depth understanding, knowledge and experience working in a palliative care environment.
- Leadership experience including but not limited to administration, supervision of staff and volunteers, program development/evaluation, inventory control, risk management, health & safety.
- Experience working with a wide variety of community service providers.
- Experience working in a hospice or palliative care unit considered an asset.
- Positive approach to client service and a demonstrated capacity for empathy.
- Knowledge of interdisciplinary resident care processes with a commitment to teamwork and ability to collaborate effectively.
- Consultative, team-based management style with strong problem-solving abilities.
- Effective verbal and written communication.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- The ability to work flexible hours with on-call as needed.
- Computer skills in Microsoft based programs such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint considered an asset.
- Have at least two COVID-19 vaccinations
- Valid Driver’s License, use of reliable vehicle, and willingness to travel, if necessary.
- Provide leadership, support and facilitate innovative thinking amongst all hospice team members to implement resident-driven solutions.
- Coordinate with Home and Community Care Support Services, HP-PCOT, Hospitals and Community Nursing Providers and Medical Director to determine admission of potential residents including participation in palliative care rounds onsite at partner organizations and in-house. Delegate admission process to nursing team as appropriate.
- Act as the lead for Infection Prevention & Control and ensure IPAC policies meet the needs of the organization.
- Work with Hospice Medical Director, other Hospice Physicians, and the Interdisciplinary Team to develop the palliative care plan, individualized for the resident and based on the best available evidence and standardized palliative care plans.
- Manage wait list, referrals, assessments, and intake.
- Identify staff learning and educational needs and subsequent coordination and facilitation of staff education.
- Develop nursing staff schedules and approving of timecards.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, develop and implement a strategy to attract and retain quality staff.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, support the development of a quality improvement program by identifying and monitoring quality indicators.
- Collect relevant data that provides for measurement of outcomes with respect to defined quality indicators and metrics.
- Promote staff well-being through mental health education, debriefing and other supports.
- Share responsibility with the executive director for on call rotation, normally two weeks on and two weeks off.
- When necessary, fill a frontline nurse shift
- Work with staff to ensure compliance with all Health & Safety Program guidelines, policies, and expectations. Act as lead for Joint Health & Safety Committee.
- Provide input to Executive Director for annual operating and capital budget preparation.
- Revisit and revise roles and responsibilities of individual staff members and volunteers with the intent to foster optimum performance, effective program delivery and promotion of ongoing teamwork.
- Conduct annual performance reviews of all nursing staff.
- Responsible for the review and revision of hospice policies and procedures relative to hospice care and program services.
- Align behavior with the overall mission, vision, values and code of conduct of Huron Hospice Volunteer Services.
- Foster relationships with community stakeholders to ensure optimum use of community hospice palliative care services which will include visits to and meetings with community stakeholders.
- Serve as a positive role model for staff, volunteers, family members, visitors, health care professionals and the community.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
INTERVIEWS: While we are grateful to all those who apply, only those who will be interviewed will be contacted.
Reply by email with cover and complete resume to:
Willy Van Klooster