CUPE Job Posting # 892988 REPOST
Position: Patient Care Assistant (2 positions)
Site: Toronto Western Hospital
Department: 5B Neurology/Neurosurgery
Reports To: Nurse Manager
Scale/Grade: Level 56
Wage Schedule: $24.54-25.31 per hour (Start rate in accordance with collective agreement requirements).
Hours: Various; Shifts: Days/Evenings/Weekends
Status: Permanent Part-Time
''Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning''
At University Health Network, which consists of Toronto General, Toronto Western, Princess Margaret and Toronto Rehab hospitals, nothing is more important to us than our team of dedicated employees. UHN focuses on creating and maintaining a workplace of choice, where our people are recognized and valued. We focus on creating a workplace where people enjoy the challenge of their career, create and engage in best practices and are treated with respect.
Our dynamic, multidisciplinary team consists of, but not limited to physicians, nursing, respiratory therapy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, nutritional support, social work, pharmacy, and pastoral care. The focus for the health care team is quality patient outcomes and high levels of patient satisfaction.
The Patient Care Assistant
participates in direct and indirect patient care activities in order to carry out the multidisciplinary care plan. The scope of activities are directed and assigned by the RN. To support the provision of excellent patient care, the principal responsibilities of the Patient Care Assistant
include: performing basic patient care functions which contribute to the implementation of the multidisciplinary care plan; assisting with patient nutritional needs; contributing to the patient information collection/documentation process; practicing infection control and safety measures to maintain the highest standard of patient care/safety; ensuring a clean and safe environment for patient care/treatment; contributing to patient assessment; performing transportation function; performing departmental duties, following strict adherence to confidentiality policies; performing cross-functional and other duties consistent with the job classification or clinical specialty, as required.
- Completion of Grade XII, or equivalent
- Completion of a Health Care Aide/PSW Program at the certificate level required; qualified internal applicants ONLY, with no PSW certification have one (1) year to successfully complete a recognized program
- Recent six (6) months direct patient care experience
- Completion of a Basic Cardiac Life Support (B.C.L.S.) program
- Ability to speak, read, write and comprehend the English language
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and other relevant legislation
- Knowledge of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (W.H.M.I.S.)
- Knowledge of Hospital and departmental policies, procedures, guidelines, protocols and practices
- Knowledge of Emergency Assistance Code
- Demonstrated independence, a positive attitude and the willingness to work effectively in a team
- Ability to facilitate unit functioning and smooth patient care flow
- Ability to maintain a consistent level of productivity and efficiency
- Ability to perform responsibilities in a courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance to UHN standards
- Awareness of Patient Centered Care
- Exercise initiative and good judgment with ability to multi-task
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job required including: ability to stand, stoop, walk, bend, lift, push, pull and reach without any physical discomfort on a continuous basis; transferring patients with appropriate assistance; ability to stand for extended periods of time; ability to lift in excess of 40 kg
- May be required to work at multiple areas as well as rotating shifts in emergency situations
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
POSTED DATE: May 12, 2022 CLOSING DATE: May 19, 2022
PLEASE NOTE: THIS JOB IS BEING RE-POSTED AS THE STATUS AND # POSITIONS HAVE CHANGED. IF YOU APPLIED TO THE PREVIOUS POSTING, AND YOU ARE STILL INTERESTED IN THE POSITION, YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY TO BE CONSIDERED. THANK YOU.
If you are interested in this position, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.