Rehab and Geriatrics - Geriatric Emergency ManagementStatus:
Temporary Part-time for approx. 6 months (Must provide availability of up to 0.8 FTE)Hours:
Monday to Sunday, 12 hour day shifts (Hours subject to change based on operational needs)Site:
OakvilleHalton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we take healthcare to a new level to meet the urgent needs of our community's growing and aging population. We are a distinctive centre of healthcare excellence that offers first-rate care in an innovative environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of the community.Halton Healthcare's vision of Exemplary patient experiences, always , goes beyond just the patient experience; it has shaped our entire culture and remains at the core of every interaction in our organization, from our patients & families to our staff, physicians and volunteers. We believe in exemplary PEOPLE experiences always!This is what you'll be doing:
The Geriatric Emergency Management (GEM) Nurse is accountable to provide specialized geriatric focused nursing services in the Emergency Department. By providing specialized geriatric focused care in the ED, decline and loss of independence can often be prevented or postponed.
This is what you'll need to do it:
- The GEM Nurse focuses his/her attention on seniors with complex medical, functional and/or psychosocial problems who are frail and most at risk of losing independence.
- Reviews all available health records to develop an accurate and comprehensive history
- Performs geriatric assessments, including physical/psychosocial assessments, within her/his scope
- Collaborates with ED Physicians and Geriatricians in assessing and managing these cases
- Refers to in or out patient Geriatric Services and liaises with CCAC and/or other care providers, and the Primary Care Physician
- Provides follow up phone-calls to ensure plan is carried out/through
- Works collaboratively with the Professional Practice Clinician Team to implement and promote revised/new policies and procedures
- Participates in data collection and audits, as required
- Is an active member and participant of the HHS Safer Elder Care Committee
- Facilitates the ongoing professional development of staff related to frailty focused nursing care in the ED, in collaboration with the ED Team
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- Current Registration in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- BSCN preferred
- Certificate in Gerontology preferred
- CNA Specialty Certification in Gerontology preferred
- Current BCLS certification required at time of hire
- Minimum 3 years nursing experience, with knowledge in geriatrics required
- Experience in developing policies and procedures
- Membership in related professional associations required (ie. RNAO, Geriatric and Nursing Association membership etc)
- Innovative, creative and professional role model
- Ability to prioritize/organize multiple demands
- Ability to work autonomously and as a team member with peers, Physicians, and Management Team
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the position
- Satisfactory employment and attendance record required
The ideal candidate is strong in patient centered care in a dynamic, rapidly changing environment and should be ready to drive change and innovation. We require a person with good communication skills with a clear patient focus with the ability to manage execution and to foster teamwork and cooperation.Salary
: $34.24 to $49.02 per hourDate Posted:
April 12, 2022Internal applications due by:
April 19, 2022
Please apply if you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.com
directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
W e thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with Directive #6, Halton Healthcare has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination and Management Policy. All new hires must be fully compliant with our Policy as a condition of employment with Halton Healthcare. Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of vaccination or proof of a documented medical exemption as part of the hiring process.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals' health concerns arising from exposure to scented products. We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.