Employment Status:Regular, Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Program Name: Visiting and Shift Nursing
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 75
Work Schedule: Days (Evenings/Weekends Required)
On-Call: YesJob Summary:
The Clinical Education Manager provides leadership in clinical and professional practice education. The incumbent oversees and directs the provision of quality and client centered care. The Clinical Education Manager proactively assesses and determines education programming for regulated/unregulated roles, is responsible for performance evaluation of clinical staff, develops learning plans, and delivers and evaluates practice education in support of the goals and objectives of the Organization.Key Responsibilities:Client Service Delivery/Human Resource Management
Business and Financial Management
- Provides leadership support to the District Executive Director/Senior Manager in areas of clinical professional practice, evidence-based practice, staff performance management and performance improvement.
- Conducts needs assessments to determine practice education requirements, develops programming to meet recognized needs and sets priorities in support of Organizational goals and objectives.
- Ensures core competencies required by clinical staff are identified, developed and maintained in both regulated and unregulated staff.
- Develops practice education programs in collaboration with other VON Clinical Education Managers in order to ensure a standardized approach to practice education.
- Participates in all aspects of the employee life-cycle for regulated and unregulated clinical roles, including recruitment, performance management and disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of existing practice education programs and revises content as appropriate.
- Develops an integrated practice education program supporting service delivery across lines of business.
- Provides clinical guidance to front line staff to integrate the adoption of new knowledge, information and best practice into care delivery.
- Observes and assesses clinical staff performance.
- Utilizes patient and family experience data to guide performance improvements.
- Oversees and supports staff in the development of individual learning plans and performance improvement where gaps have been identified.
- Evaluates and assesses the clinical practice of regulated and unregulated clinical staff in accordance with practice standards, VON policy, relevant legislation and college regulations, where applicable.
- Promotes excellence in clinical care delivery through evidence-based practice decision making and a spirit of inquiry and just culture.
- Contributes to the development, delivery and evaluation of regional practice education.
Organization Leadership/Business Program and Community
- Contributes to the development and implementation of quality improvement activities to achieve performance targets.
- Supports business and professional service delivery goals of the Organization by working collaboratively with Program Managers to ensure cost effective nursing, home support and community support services and programs are provided to individuals, families and the communities.
- Works cross functionally with IT, Finance, Client Services, Occupational Health & Safety, HR, and Practice, Quality & Risk to maximize front line care delivery.
- Develops relationships, partnerships and alliances internally within the organization and externally the community to ensure currency, and relevancy of practice education material.
- May participate on any local, regional or national team or committees as required, desired or requested. Examples include, Quality Care and Service, Joint Occupational Health and Safety, Accreditation, Recruitment and Retention.
- Promotes a learning environment for staff and professional development.
External and Internal Relationships:
- Promotes the goals and values of VON and their role as an integrated community care provider
- Promotes a safe and healthy workplace ensuring workplace conduct and activities are in accordance with the provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations.
- Abides by all VON policies and work practices
- Abides by all confidentiality and protection of personal information policies, regulations and practices and ensures appropriate safeguards are in place within their role
- Works in collaboration with other staff in a team approach to service delivery
As assigned by Site or District Executive Director/Senior Manager, and may include but are not limited to:
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Client Organizations - LHIN committees/working groups, District Health Authorities, Ministries of Health
- Community health, social and service agencies.
- Post-secondary educational institutions
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BScN, BN) is required or equivalent; Masters is preferred
- Current registration with provincial nursing regulatory body
- Minimum 5 years of recent, relevant clinical nursing experience
- Experience in a homecare setting is an asset
- Certificate or experience in Gerontology
- Adult education certificate/diploma or additional education in adult education preferred
- Experience in developing education program and support materials
- A strong understanding of education theories and frameworks, practical application and knowledge transfer
- Experience in providing clinical education utilizing adult education principles and evidence-based practice
- Experience with wound care, IV therapy, and palliative care
- CNA certification preferred
- CAPSE, HOSPICE Care certification preferred
- Knowledge of skin and wound management is considered an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to working in an environment with high confidentiality and discretion.
- Strong management skills and the ability to lead, motivate and support both a core and an extended team of staff and volunteers.
- Superior interpersonal skills including the ability to relate effectively with people at all levels (internal and external).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to work both independently and within a team.
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Must demonstrate strong attention to detail.
- Ability to adjust to rapidly changing priorities.
- Creative thinking skills.
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check. A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required.
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas.
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: fast-paced environment; attention to detail; lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; walk, sit, stand, and climb stairs; grip and fine hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website athttp://www.von.ca/en/accessibility
for further details.