ONA Posting #894565
Position: Registered Nurse - 3 Positions
Site: Toronto General Hospital
Department: Cardiovascular Investigation Unit (Cath Lab)
Reports to: Nurse Manager
Wage Schedule: $33.90 - $48.53 per hour (Start rate: determined in accordance with collective agreement requirements)
Hours: 37.50 Hours/Week - Staggered 8 Hrs. and 10 Hrs. Shifts - Operating Hours 07:00 to 2300, plus On Call Weeknights and Weekends
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning ...
At University Health Network, which consists of Toronto General, Toronto Western, Princess Margaret and Toronto Rehab hospitals, nothing is more important to us than our team of dedicated employees. UHN focuses on creating and maintaining a workplace of choice, where our people are recognized and valued. We focus on creating a workplace where people enjoy the challenge of their career, create and engage in best practices and are treated with respect.
Providing care to the community for more than 200 years, UHN is a major landmark in Canada's health care system and a teaching hospital of the University of Toronto. Building on the strengths and reputation of each of our four hospitals, we bring together the talent and resources needed to achieve global impact and provide exemplary patient care, research and education.
The Cardiovascular Investigation Unit CVIU, also known as the Cath Lab, is a regional, national, and international referral centre performing approximately 5,000 procedures a year. Nurses require critical care experience and or experience working in critical assessment and resuscitation. Nurses receive an 8-week unit specific orientation upon completion of hospital orientation. Critical care nursing skills include: invasive hemodynamic monitoring, IABP monitoring and care, pacemaker insertion and recovery post conscious sedation and general anesthesia.
Patients come to the CVIU from the Cardiology Short Stay Unit, the inpatient cardiology and medical units, the CICU, TWH Cardiology, Cath Lab, Acute Care Unit and the Emergency Departments at TGH, TWH and Mt Sinai. As well patients also arrive by ambulance from other institutions.
The majority of patients have cardiac disorders requiring:
- Electrophysiology studies and ablations
- Cardiac mapping
- Congenital diagnostic, and congenital interventional procedures such as ASD, PDA, PFO closures, Stenting of Coarctation Percutaneous aortic, pulmonary and mitral valve repair and replacement
- Coronary angioplasty including IVUS and rotablation
- Cardiac biopsies post heart transplantation
- Pacemaker and biventricular AICD device placement
As a member of the UHN and the Nursing Multi-disciplinary Team, the REGISTERED NURSE practices in accordance with relevant legislation/standards, meeting the legal and ethical requirements of the profession.
- Current Registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (A.C.L.S.) certification
- Minimum two (2) years of Cardiology experience including ECG interpretation and use of cardiac meds, and/or critical care experience, and/or experience working in critical assessment and resuscitation
- Must be able to work wearing lead apron/vest all day
- Excellent interpersonal and decision making, organizational and time management skills
- Must be flexible and possess the ability to work effectively and efficiently within a variety of patient care teams
- Demonstrated evidence of on going education in cardiac nursing
- Must be able to respond to on-call notifications (arrive at the hospital) within 45 minutes maximum
- B.Sc. N. preferred
- Previous Cath Lab experience preferred
- Completion of a recognized Coronary Care certificate preferred
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
POSTED DATE: March 10, 2022 CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program and possess all the required experience and qualifications will be given first considerations.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
University Health Network has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.