Registered Practical Nurse - Behavioural Supports OntarioPermanent Full Time
As a Registered Practical Nurse, you'll use a patient- and family-centred approach in providing holistic, quality and safe care to patients within the scope of practice identified by the College of Nurses of Ontario, evidence-based nursing practices and the standards set by Mackenzie Health. Working independently and collaboratively as part of the interprofessional care team, you'll contribute to creating a world-class health experience for patients and their families, by demonstrating professionalism at every turn, upholding our values of excellence, leadership and empathy, and exemplifying our Commitment to Caring.Contribute to safe, quality care by
What must you have?
- Managing a workload effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Addressing and resolving issues in a productive, respectful manner.
- Exercising sound professional judgment and using best practice guidelines.
- Contributing to a safe, inclusive environment for all through compliance with patient and staff safety policies and procedures.
What else do you bring?
- Practical Nurse Diploma from an approved nursing program preferred.
- Current Certificate of Registration in the General Class with the College of Nurses of Ontario required.
- If graduated prior to 1995, medication administration certificate from an approved community college required.
- Recent completion of a physical assessment course preferred.
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification
Preferably, your profile also includes:
- Minimum two years' experience with residents in Long Term Care.
- Training in (or willingness to participate in training) P.I.E.C.E.S., GPA, Mental Health First Aid.
- Working knowledge of the Long Term Care Homes Act and Regulations and other legislation that is relevant to the venues in which care is provided.
- Extensive knowledge and skill working with individuals with various types of dementia, delirium, mental health, addictions, other neurological conditions and those who experience an acute behavioural change who can be best served by a behavioural support system.
- Demonstrates compassion and patient-centred care for residents and care partners.
- Sound understanding of and commitment to the principles of Behavioural Supports Ontario.
- Ability to deliver non-pharmacological and pharmacological management approaches.
- Familiarity with RAI documentation including assessments, RAPs and care planning functions.
- Ability to use electronic communication devices and software pertaining to risk management and documentation.
- Commitment to quality improvement and change initiatives.
- Valid driver's license and access to reliable vehicle required.
- Proven clinical experience with patient-focused care, including strong patient assessment, care planning, patient education and documentation skills.
- Experience working with electronic medical records.
- Familiarity with the Regulated Health Professions Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS, and the Standards of Practice of the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, and verbal and written communication skills in English, with an ability to deliver information and work effectively with patients, families and colleagues.
- Demonstrated strong decision-making, problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and adjust to new or unexpected events.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and professional development.
- Member of the Registered Practical Nurses' Association of Ontario (RPNAO) preferred.
- A minimum of 1 year recent nursing experience working as a Registered Practical Nurse in an acute care setting within the past 3 years preferred.
- Ability to speak a second language.
*This position is represented by OPSEU Service
*You may be required to work at any site of Mackenzie HealthFOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS:
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to Mackenzie Health's Occupational Health and Safety department.