CUPE JOB POSTING: 882345
Position: Registered Practical Nurse (New Graduate Opportunity) - 5 positions
Site: Toronto Rehab - All TRI Sites
Department: Staffing Office TRI
Reports to: Manager, Program Staffing Office
Salary Range: $31.175 to $32.385 per hour (Start rate in accordance with collective agreement requirements).
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; Shifts: Days/Evenings, Alternate Weekends or Days/Nights, Alternate Weekends
Status: Permanent Full Time
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Registered Practical Nurse as part of Toronto Rehab Staffing Office.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where "above all else the needs of patients come first", encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of "Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning", the University Health Network (UHN), Canada's largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
The Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, a leader in adult rehabilitation and complex continuing care, is Canada's largest adult rehabilitation hospital. Bringing together innovative patient care, groundbreaking research and diverse education to help people overcome or recover from disabling injury, illness or age-related conditions Toronto Rehab is located at four sites: University Centre (550 University Ave.), Lyndhurst Hospital and Toronto Rehab's Cardiac and Stroke Centre (Rumsey Road) and the Bickle Centre (Dunn Ave). Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
The TRI Staffing Office is an initiative created to respond to unit nursing staffing requirements at UHN based on: patient acuity; replacement needs for leaves such as sick or vacation time; and known short-term vacancies when the unit's internal staff resources are unavailable. While a schedule will be posted minimally four (4) weeks ahead, as per CUPE Collective agreement, the successful candidate is expected to work on any of the Toronto Rehab sites and units as needed on any and all scheduled shifts.
- Plan, manage, and evaluate nursing care for patients and families within the RPN scope of practice in the context of an interdisciplinary practice.
- Use current theoretical and research knowledge and the input of team members to plan and implement care for patients
- Participate in inter-professional team care planning forums, inter-professional rounds and family conferences
- Provide mentorship to RPN students and new staff on the unit
- Participate in professional, program and hospital-wide initiatives, including professional development of self
- Compliance with and commitment to patient safety responsibilities and corresponding hospital plans, policies and procedures in order to ensure a safe environment for patients
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
- Member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Diploma preparation as an RPN in a recognized education program for Nursing preferred
- Current medication certificate (if not included in diploma program)
- Successful completion of Basic Cardiac Life Support (C level) Heart Saver Plus (Canada)
- Member, Registered Practical Nurses Association of Ontario (RPNAO), preferred
- Ability to demonstrate strong health assessment skills
- Well developed clinical decision-making skills that reflect patient centeredness, problem solving and critical thinking
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Good knowledge of standards of nursing practice and applicable health care legislation
- Able to use computer software such as word, email and web applications or willing to pursue appropriate training in computer software
- Good attendance required
- Must be proficient in English
- Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you are interested in making a contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, persons with disabilities and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.