The Ministry of Education, Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch, W. Ross Macdonald School for the Blind, operates a specialized school for students who are Blind, Deafblind, have Low Vision and/or multiple exceptionalities. The Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch requires a General Duty Nurse to work up to 24 hours on a temporary, part-time basis, to provide nursing and emergency health care services for multi-exceptional students at the Brantford school site.
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunity to work in a dynamic educational/residence setting serving multi-exceptional students, then this position may be for you. As a General Duty Nurse, you will have a direct impact on supporting the health care needs of special education students enrolled at our schools.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Assess student conditions.
• Implement medical treatment plans.
• Administer/monitor medications.
• Maintain health records.
• Provide health care information and resources.
How do I qualify?
• Current registration as a Registered Nurse in Ontario.
Skills and Qualifications
Your background and experience enable you to meet the following requirements:
• Knowledge of general nursing theory, practices, and procedures, and College of Nurses of Ontario Standards of Practice.
• Knowledge of relevant legislation, including Regulated Health Professions Act and Health Care Consent Act.
• Sound judgement, organization and planning skills.
• Communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively and resolve conflict.
• Ability to work independently and in a multi-disciplinary team.
• Knowledge of students with special needs.
• Ability to lift while transferring/assisting students.
• Willingness and ability to work shifts.
OPS Commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti-racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code . Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
Salary Range: $33.00 - $40.68 per hour
- 1 Temporary Position - duration up to 10 months, 350 Brant Avenue, Brantford, West Region, Vulnerable Sector Check
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 181739 (PDSB22-077), by Thursday, May 19, 2022. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.