CUPE JOB POSTING # 895554
Position: Registered Practical Nurse (2 Positions)
Site: E. W. Bickle Centre, Toronto Rehab
Department: North 5 CCC/TCU
Reports to: Manager, Program Services
Salary Range: $31.175-32.385 per hour (Start rate in accordance with collective agreement requirements).
Hours: 37.50 FTE Shifts: Days/Evening/Nights
Status: Permanent Full-time
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Registered Practical Nurse in our North 5 Complex Continuing Care/Transition Care Unit.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where "above all else the needs of patients come first", encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of "Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning", the University Health Network (UHN), Canada's largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
The Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, a leader in adult rehabilitation and complex continuing care, is Canada's largest adult rehabilitation hospital. Bringing together innovative patient care, groundbreaking research and diverse education to help people overcome or recover from disabling injury, illness or age-related conditions Toronto Rehab is located at four sites: University Centre (550 University Ave.), Lyndhurst Hospital and Toronto Rehab's Cardiac and Stroke Centre (Rumsey Road) and the Bickle Centre (Dunn Ave).
- Plan, manage, and evaluate nursing care for patients and families within the RPN scope of practice in the context of an interdisciplinary practice.
- Use current theoretical and research knowledge and the input of team members to plan and implement care for patients and families
- Participate in inter-professional team care planning forums, inter-professional rounds and family conferences
- Provide mentorship to RPN students and new staff on the unit
- Participate in professional, program and hospital-wide initiatives, including professional development of self
- Compliance with and commitment to patient safety responsibilities and corresponding hospital plans, policies and procedures in order to ensure a safe environment for patients
- Member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Diploma preparation as an RPN in a recognized education program for Nursing preferred
- Current medication certificate (if not included in diploma program)
- Medical asepsis preferred (if not included in diploma program)
- Experience in Complex Continuing Care preferred
- Successful completion of Basic Cardiac Life Support (C level) Heart Saver Plus (Canada)
- Member, Registered Practical Nurses Association of Ontario (RPNAO), preferred
- Well developed conceptual and theoretical understanding of nursing concepts as they relate to patient population and an ability to articulate these concepts
- Well developed clinical decision-making skills that reflect patient centeredness, problem solving and critical thinking
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to impart knowledge to students within the context of a teaching hospital
- Good knowledge of standards of nursing practice and applicable health care legislation
- Able to use computer software such as word, email and web applications or willing to pursue appropriate training in computer software
- Demonstrated ability to identify and meet own learning needs for pursue ongoing professional development
- Good attendance required
- Must be proficient in English
- Completion of a health assessment/physical assessment course from an accredited college or university in the past 2 to 3 years (or equivalent) required; qualified internal applicants, if currently enrolled in a health assessment/physical assessment course, the course must be successfully completed before January 1, 2022.
- Recent health assessment course required
- Ability to demonstrate strong health assessment skills
- Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
RE-POSTED DATE: April 26, 2022 CLOSING DATE: until filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, persons with disabilities and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.