Job Number: J0422-1399
Job Title: Registered Nurse- BIR Inpatient Mental Health
Department: Br 3C Mental Health
Job Category: Nursing
Hospital Location: Birchmount
Job Type: Full Time
Number Of Positions: 1
Union: ONA Local 111
Hours: Days, Nights
Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada's most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America's largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital's Workplace Health and Safety department.
We are also proud to be named one of Greater Toronto's Top Employers for 2022!
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
Reporting to the Patient Care Manager in the Mental Health Department, you will be responsible for providing excellent care to a diverse patient population within our multi-service environment. The department is a combination of general psychiatry and psychogeriatric patients with a Primary Nursing Care Delivery Model. In this role, you will provide high quality nursing care to patients and their families, based on the philosophy and conceptual framework of Nursing Practice at Scarborough Health Network. The successful candidate will be required to work on 3B, 3C and PICU as per departmental needs.
• Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario in good standing
• Current BCLS
• Highly motivated and passionate about mental health, new graduates with interest in acute care adult mental health and related recent clinical placement experience may apply
• 2 years experience in Inpatient Mental Health
• CPI certification or successful completion of CPI certification within 6 months of hire
• Demonstrates commitment, motivation and professional pursuit of psychiatric knowledge and/or psychogeriatric.
• Aptitude in psychiatric assessment and use of sound, independent clinical judgment especially with serious, chronically ill mental health patients
• Demonstrates knowledge of the Mental Health Act
• Provides excellent interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal
• Demonstrates excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and organizational skills
• Demonstrates initiative and the ability to function both independently and as a multidisciplinary team member in a fast paced demanding environment
• Demonstrates values consistent with SHN′s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
• Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to SHN's comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff safety, patient safety, and environmental safety and participates in regular in-service education in this area
• Demonstrates excellent work performance and attendance record
• CNA certification in Psychiatric -Mental Health Nursing or equivalent
• Baccalaureate degree
• Ability to speak another language
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community's unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more about our exciting opportunities by following SHNCareers on Twitter and on Instagram.