CUPE JOB POSTING #889184
Position: Registered Practical Nurse
Site: University Centre, Toronto Rehab
Department: Specialized Dementia Unit
Reports to: Manager, Program Services
Salary Range: $31.175 -32.385 per hour (Start rate: determined in accordance with collective agreement requirements)
Hours: 0.45 FTE ; Shifts: Days/Evenings
Status: Permanent Part-time
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Registered Practical Nurse in our Specialized Dementia Unit.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where "above all else the needs of patients come first", encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of "Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning", the University Health Network (UHN), Canada's largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
The Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, a leader in adult rehabilitation and complex continuing care, is Canada's largest adult rehabilitation hospital. Bringing together innovative patient care, groundbreaking research and diverse education to help people overcome or recover from disabling injury, illness or age-related conditions Toronto Rehab is located at four sites: University Centre (550 University Ave.), Lyndhurst Hospital and Toronto Rehab's Cardiac and Stroke Centre (Rumsey Road) and the Bickle Centre (Dunn Ave).
Our dynamic, multidisciplinary team consists of, but not limited to physicians, nursing, respiratory therapy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, nutritional support, social work, pharmacy, and pastoral care. The focus for the health care team is quality patient outcomes and high levels of patient satisfaction.
- Plan, manage, and evaluate nursing care for patients and families within the RPN scope of practice in the context of interprofessional practice and primary nursing model
- Use current theoretical and research knowledge and the input of team members to plan and implement care for patients and families
- Participate in interprofessional team care planning forums, interprofessional rounds and family conferences
- Provide mentorship to RPN students and new staff on the unit
- Participate in professional, program and hospital-wide initiatives, including professional development of self
- Compliance with and commitment to patient safety responsibilities and corresponding hospital plans, policies and procedures in order to ensure a safe environment for patients
- Member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Diploma preparation as an RPN in a recognized education program for Nursing preferred
- Current medication certificate (if not included in diploma program)
- Ability to demonstrate strong health assessment skills
- Medical asepsis preferred (if not included in diploma program)
- Experience in Geriatric Rehab and care of dementia patients preferred
- Good understanding of behaviours associated with dementia
- Successful completion of Basic Cardiac Life Support (C level) Heart Saver Plus (Canada)
- Member, Registered Practical Nurses Association of Ontario (RPNAO), preferred
- Well developed conceptual and theoretical understanding of nursing concepts as they relate to patient population and an ability to articulate these concepts.
- Well developed clinical decision-making skills that reflect patient centeredness, problem solving and critical thinking
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to impart knowledge to students within the context of a teaching hospital
- Good knowledge of standards of nursing practice and applicable health care legislation
- Demonstrated ability to identify and meet own learning needs for pursue ongoing professional development
- Successful candidates are required to work rotational shift
- Computer proficiency required
- Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code
Re-Posted: April 25, 2022 Closing Date: until filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, persons with disabilities and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.