CUPE JOB POSTING # 890104 REPOST
Position: Registered Practical Nurse
Site: E.W. Bickle Centre, Toronto Rehab
Department: South 4- Low Tolerance Long Duration/Geriatric Rehab
Reports to: Manager, Program Services
Salary Range: $31.175 - 32.385 (Start rate in accordance with collective agreement requirements).
Hours: 0.40 FTE Shifts: Days/Evenings
Status: Permanent Part-Time
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Registered Practical Nurse in our South 4 Low Tolerance Long Duration/Geriatric Rehab Department.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where "above all else the needs of patients come first", encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of "Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning", the University Health Network (UHN), Canada's largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
The Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, a leader in adult rehabilitation and complex continuing care, is Canada's largest adult rehabilitation hospital. Bringing together innovative patient care, groundbreaking research and diverse education to help people overcome or recover from disabling injury, illness or age-related conditions Toronto Rehab is located at four sites: University Centre (550 University Ave.), Lyndhurst Hospital and Toronto Rehab's Cardiac and Stroke Centre (Rumsey Road) and the Bickle Centre (Dunn Ave). Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
The LTLD/Geri unit is a 48 bed inpatient unit located on South 4 at the E.W. Bickle Centre on Dunn Ave. We offer rehabilitation to people who will benefit from therapies at a slower pace and with less intensity. Often, our patients have multiple co-morbidities, such as diabetes, multiple sclerosis or heart disease in addition to the injury or illness that led to their hospitalization.
We provide rehabilitation to patients who have a discharge destination. As soon as possible after you arrive, we will work with you and your loved ones to plan your discharge, to help you make a safe and successful transition to the next stage of your rehabilitation in the community.
- Plan, manage, and evaluate nursing care for patients and families within the RPN scope of practice in the context of an interdisciplinary practice
- Use current theoretical and research knowledge and the input of team members to plan and implement care for patients and families
- Participate in inter-professional team care planning forums, inter-professional rounds and family conferences
- Provide mentorship to RPN students and new staff on the unit
- Participate in professional, program and hospital-wide initiatives, including professional development of self
- Compliance with and commitment to patient safety responsibilities and corresponding hospital plans, policies and procedures in order to ensure a safe environment for patients
- Member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Diploma preparation for Nursing in a recognized education program preferred
- Current medication certificate (if not included in diploma program)
- Medical asepsis preferred (if not included in diploma program)
- Experience in CCC preferred
- Palliative care experience preferred
- Successful completion of Basic Cardiac Life Support (C level) Heart Saver Plus (Canada)
- Member, Registered Practical Nurses Association of Ontario (RPNAO), preferred
- Well developed conceptual and theoretical understanding of nursing concepts as they relate to patient population and an ability to articulate these concepts
- Well developed clinical decision-making skills that reflect patient centeredness, problem solving and critical thinking
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Ability to impart knowledge to students within the context of a teaching hospital
- Good knowledge of standards of nursing practice and applicable health care legislation
- Demonstrated ability to identify and meet own learning needs for pursue ongoing professional development
- Successful candidates are required to work rotational shift
- Computer proficiency required OR willing to pursue appropriate training
- Good attendance required
- Must be proficient in English
- Ability to demonstrate strong health assessment skills
- Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Re-POSTED DATE: April 14, 2022 CLOSING DATE: until filledPLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POSITION IS BEING REPOSTED. THE STATUS HAS CHANGED. IF YOU ARE STILL INTERESTED, PLEASE RE-APPLY
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, persons with disabilities and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.