JOB POSTING # 888162
Position: Nurse Practitioner
Site: Toronto General Hospital
Department: Thoracic Surgery
Hours: 37.5 Hours Per Week
Status: Temporary Full-Time Contract - 18 months
''We are a caring, creative and accountable academic Hospital, transforming Healthcare for Our Patients, Our Community and the World''
University Health Network (UHN) represents the coming together of shared values and diverse expertise in patient care, research and teaching. Each of our facilities (Toronto General Hospital, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital and Toronto Rehabilitation Institute) makes a unique contribution to the whole. Together, we create something far greater than the sum of our parts.
Toronto General Hospital (TGH) is leading the way in cardiac care, organ transplants and the treatment of complex patient needs. Home to three of UHN's major program groupings (Heart and Circulation, Transplantation and Advanced Medicine and Surgery), our highly skilled teams are committed to UHN's vision of achieving global impact.
The Nurse Practitioner (NP), having a specialty-based focus, functions in an expanded nursing role demonstrating a high level of autonomy and expert skill to formulate clinical decisions and appropriately manage acute/chronic illness and promote wellness. As part of the Thoracic Surgery team, the NP will plan for and provide care for thoracic surgery patients in inpatient and ambulatory settings. Principal responsibilities include: utilizing and demonstrating a comprehensive theoretical knowledge base and advanced level of clinical competence in caring for Thoracic surgery patients involving, collecting and interpreting data about the health of the patient, determining a medical diagnosis and treating complex responses of individuals and families to actual or potential problems; playing a leadership role and performing quality improvement and administrative responsibilities; participating in policy and procedure development; performing research activities; delivering, coordinating and participating in education and professional development activities/programs; performing activities to further develop and strengthen the profession; acting as a resource and serving as a consultant to individuals and groups within the professional community and other hospital/agencies; performing other duties consistent with the job classification, as required.
- Completion of Masters Degree Program in Nursing (or one semester from completion)
- Registered Nurse (EC) certification complete or pending
- Nurse Practitioner (NP) Adult or Primary Care certificate complete or pending
- Current Certificate of Competence with College of Nurses of Ontario
- Three to five years nursing experience in an acute treatment centre
- Experience in nursing research methodology
- Eligible for cross-appointment to an academic institution
- Current certificate of registration from the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Membership in the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (RNAO) and other organizations relevant to the role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Effective interpersonal and customer services skills
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Excellent decision making, problem recognition and problem solving skills
- Excellent negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Program planning and evaluation methodology skills
- Commitment to collaborative practice
- Ability to work effectively independently and under stressful conditions
- Ability to work in a self directed manner
- Ability to utilize information technology
- Thoracic patient care experience preferred
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
POSTED DATE: January 13, 2022 CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.