The Registered Practical Nurse shall provide professional care as a member of the inter-disciplinary team. The RPN is primarily responsible for the administration of medications and treatments, participation in the assessment and individualized care planning practice. The RPN works collaboratively with the RN and defers to the RN in unpredictable situations. The RPN will direct and supervise Personal Support Workers. The RPN works in accordance with all the Policies and Procedures of the Home. While performing any and all duties of the position the employee will work in a safe and healthy manner and will follow the regulations outlined in the Occupational Health and Safety Act outlined in the organization Health & Safety Policy, Infection Control and safe work procedures.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
include the following. Other duties may be assigned.RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide nursing care in accordance with the Professional Standards as outlined by the College of Nurses (CNO) (policy 2-80).
- Assumes responsibility for care of residents in accordance with the Regulated Health Professionals and requests support from RN when required.
- Maintain compliance with MOHLTC Standards.
- Work within full scope of professional practice as defined by CON of Ontario
- Ongoing and daily monitoring of the resident's health status.
- Perform holistic and document individualized resident assessments.
- Report any unpredictable change to the RN in a timely manner.
- Participate in establishing an individualized plan of care that reflects his/her current strengths, abilities, preferences, needs, goals, safety/security risks in order to give clear direction to staff providing care.
- Collaborate with and seek interdisciplinary consultation, or referral as appropriate and as it relates to the resident.
- Consult with the resident and/or their SDM regarding wishes and needs for care.
- Advocate and support the resident and/or their SDM in achieving their care goals.
- Assist in coordinating interventions and services such as pharmacy service, social work, pastoral care, nutrition services, diagnostic service, dental service, therapy, foot care, eye care or hearing care, as ordered by the physician.
- Direct PSW/HCA in providing care according to the Resident Care Plan.
- Administer medications and treatments in accordance with the policies and procedures of John Noble Home.
- Participate in the documentation and care planning process.
- Document accurately and in a timely manner in accordance with the Standards of the College of Nurses.
- Order and Maintain medical supplies according to the need of the home area.
- Delegate and teach skills and techniques to PSW, residents and/or their SDM's appropriate and in accordance with the RHPA.
- Monitor and assume responsibility for maintaining a safe and healthy environment and report anything untoward in a prompt manner.
- Provide direct care to the residents, (Assists in completing ADL's) as required.
Please contact John Noble Home if you require accommodations during the application process. John Noble Home thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Review, evaluate and revise Resident Care Profile and Care Plan monthly quarterly and as required every 92 days.
- Assess resident when any change in health status occurs.
- Analyze, interpret and document changes in health status, and take appropriate action.
- Conduct the six (6) week and Annual Interdisciplinary Conference or any other conference held regarding resident care.
- Check monthly Medication Administration Records for accuracy.
- Assist with the Quality Assurance Program by assuring quality practice and quality care. Monitoring indicators, identifying high risks and ongoing auditing is involved.
- Report medication errors and complete Medication Incident Form.
- Communicate with the resident and/or their SDM assuring their satisfaction with the care plan and obtain consent.
- Monitor infection control practices on unit and resident home area assuring Infection Control CON Standards are maintained.
- Participate in the development and review of policies and procedures and best practices.
- Participate in Nursing Practice council meetings, home area meetings and other meetings as requested.
- Provide feedback on PSW/HCA performance.
- Complete the requirement of Quality Assurance and Reflective Practice as determined by the College of Nurses of Ontario.
Powered by JazzHR