As a dynamic, engaging professional with exceptional relationship building and communication skills, you have a passion for Nursing and working in education. Your commitment to your own professional growth is evident in the innovative healthcare practices you bring to work and inspires the development and growth of your colleagues. Your contributions providing coverage or working alongside the full time School Nurse will play an instrumental part in Crescent Schools’ safe and healthy school campus. In a workplace that is challenging, diverse, warm and fulfilling your aid will be valued by the entire community.
- Assesses and provides primary care to students and staff who become ill or injured at school and documents each visit with the treatment provided;
- Ensures that an adequate stock of medical supplies and safety equipment is available and informs School staff when supplies are low;
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data with respect to COVID-19;
- Acts as a resource to staff and faculty to answer health-related questions and to assist with the pandemic plan and return to school;
- Ensures the safety of students with allergies and life-threatening anaphylaxis by reviewing, implementing and promoting School policies such as the Concussion Return to Learn/Play, the Asthma Policy, and the Anaphylaxis Policy;
- Supports students with chronic illnesses, allergies or recovering from injuries by communicating pertinent information to staff, sharing academic accommodation requirements with faculty and Crescent Student Services, and administering prescription medications as requested by parents;
- Acts as a liaison with community services (Toronto Public Health, etc.) to report all pertinent information with regard to infectious diseases including COVID-19 to Public Health and communicate medical alerts to the Crescent Community;
- Maintain confidentiality of medical information and provides health information as appropriate for coaches and school excursion leaders.
The successful candidate will have:
- Registered Nurse with a BSc in Nursing plus at least 3 years of hands-on nursing experience including pediatric nursing;
- A member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario and current certification in CPR, AED and first aid;
- Experience in a hospital/clinic setting and or emergency experience, an asset;
- Has expert knowledge of nursing processes (assessing, planning, implementing, evaluating) and the ability to utilize this process in a variety of situations within the School;
- Understands Health and Safety Law/Acts as applied to a school environment;
- Excellent physical assessment skills;
- Demonstrates the ability to manage issues in a calm and solution-oriented manner, and remain calm in a crisis;
- Good computer skills and the ability to use medical chart software effectively;
- Displays a high degree of confidentiality when handling sensitive information;
- Communicates effectively, verbally and in writing;
- Growth mindset, curiosity and willingness to accept new perspectives;
- Compassion, and a desire to cultivate courage and nurture connection;
- A burning desire to become fully immersed in the School’s positive and progressive culture.