Scarborough Centre for Healthy Communities (SCHC) is dedicated to meeting the diverse, holistic health needs of the people of Scarborough by addressing the physical, mental, social, financial and environmental aspects of their health. Through the promotion of healthy lifestyles and delivery of a comprehensive range of culturally competent health and social services, we cultivate vital and connected communities.
We are currently looking to hire a:
Registered Nurse, Diabetes Education - Full Time Permanent
(35 hours per week)
SCHC is seeking a Nurse Educator to be part of the Diabetes Education Program, which is composed of full time RN/RD teams, a Social Worker and administrative support. We educate and counsel clients at risk for diabetes, pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes in both individual and group settings. The RN will practice within an inter-professional model of care.
Reporting To: Manager, Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
Department: Diabetes Team
Key areas of responsibility:
- Provide a thorough nursing assessment of patient’s level of knowledge and readiness to change, socio-economic and cultural background in developing a maintenance plan related to diabetes
- Employ appropriate teaching methods and education principles to assist clients and their family members in gaining knowledge, skills and confidence in self-management of diabetes
- Ensure continuity of care by maintaining up to date medical records, and communicating with the client’s primary care provider and other service providers as required
- Regular monitoring of clients within scope of practice and evaluate the effectiveness of clients’ self-care plans through regular follow up visits with clients
- Collaborating with the client's family physician and provide suggestions with regards to any required changes in client's treatment profile.
- Contribute to policy development in relation to health care delivery and professional practice
- Maintain confidentiality and professional-ethical standards of conduct at all times
- Provide timely information and reports, as required by SCHC and/or program manager
- In collaboration with the health care team, perform needs assessment and plan, develop, implement, promote and evaluate the community-based diabetes education program for Scarborough's diverse high-risk population
- Apply Adult Learning Principles and clear writing skills to develop client education lesson plans, teaching and resource materials
- Plan, organize, coordinate and engage actively in health promotion activities towards diabetes prevention and management, by providing outreach and presentations in targeted population areas on and off sites in conjunction with other service providers
- Follow SCHC protocol on electronic charting and enter clients’ data in timely manner to maintain statistical data
- Participate in chart reviews and audits
- Perform prioritizing referrals
- Act as a resource for other health care providers and the community
- Perform other duties as assigned that are reasonable within the scope of the job.
- Demonstrate the capacity to advocate and support culturally diverse communities and identify current gaps of service
- Identify the needs of individual clients and communities and tailor our services to best suit their needs
- Supervise and mentor students/interns who are willing to obtain knowledge in diabetes field.
Partnership & Professional Development
- Identify and develop positive relations with community agencies, resources and stakeholders to better support client needs and refer them to appropriate resources
- Actively participate in the promotion of SCHC inter-agency referrals
- Develop and maintain professional competence through different venues including in-services, conferences and workshops
- Attend professional networks like CDENT and DES.
Educational and/or Professional Qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree from a recognized university and/or college
- Registration and a member of good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) is preferred
- Certification in the Principles of Adult Education considered an asset
Level of Experience:
- 3 to 5 years of current practice within a Diabetes Education Program and/or equivalent
- Working experience with individuals with mental illness is considered an asset
- Experience in program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
Skills and Attributes:
- Possess a sound knowledge base around the prevention, care and management of diabetes
- Highly developed presentation and group facilitation skills
- Sensitivity to and awareness of cultural and socio-economic diversity within the community
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Good assessment and problem solving skills
- Experience with conflict resolution techniques
- Capacity to strongly develop and maintain professional links with sister agencies, health care professionals, and key stakeholders in Scarborough
- Values team work and interdisciplinary models of care
- Oral and/or written fluency in other languages relevant to the community the program serves is a definite asset
- Valid Driver’s License to drive in Ontario and access to a vehicle
- Current certification in CPR/First Aid
Significant Working Conditions:
- Flexibility to work once a month evening and weekend is required
- Work at multiple sites within Scarborough required.
Remuneration: $31.14 - $37.50
Pay Band: B
Please note: All other conditions of employment are set out in the collective agreement between SCHC and SEIU.
Deadline: Until position is filled
We would like to thank all applicants; only those invited to interview will be contacted.
Scarborough Centre for Healthy Communities is strongly committed to diversity within its community and inclusive workforce that reflects the communities that we serve. SCHC encourages applications from visible minority group members, women, aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities and members of sexual minority groups.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), SCHC will provide accommodation in all parts of the hiring process as required, upon request from applicants.
For more information about our programs and services, please visit our website at www.schcontario.ca.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $31.45-$37.88 per hour