Job Description OR Resource Nurse, Operating RoomPermanent Full Time
There's never been a better time to join Mackenzie Health! Mackenzie Health's two hospitals - Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital and Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital - and our community-based locations provide the ultimate in care to our community. We have opportunities available. Ultimately, this is where you want to be.
As a Registered Nurse in the OR Resource Nurse position, you'll use your skills as an RN to provide a patient- and family-centred approach in providing holistic, quality and safe care to patients within the scope of practice identified by the College of Nurses of Ontario, evidence-based nursing practices and the standards set by Mackenzie Health. Working independently and collaboratively as part of the interprofessional care team, you'll contribute to creating a world-class health experience for patients and their families, by demonstrating professionalism at every turn, upholding our values of excellence, leadership and empathy, and exemplifying our Commitment to Caring.
As the OR Resource Nurse, you will support operating room functions across the two site model through the integration and collaboration of the team. The Resource nurse will ensures that services function well, capacity for expert care exists amongst the clinical staff within the OR and support the efficiency and effectiveness of the daily operations. Your assignment will include direct patient care, supporting daily operational leadership within the service and the Program. You will contribute to a support learning environment for new staff and students in collaboration with the educator and other supports in the program. In this role, you may rotate between services across both sites as required or be realigned to focus on a particular service for a period of time based on operational needsContribute to safe, quality care by
What must you have?
- Managing a workload effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Addressing and resolving issues in a productive, respectful manner.
- Exercising sound professional judgment and using best practice guidelines.
- Contributing to a safe, inclusive environment for all through compliance with patient and staff safety policies and procedures.
- Maintaining current best practices within the clinical service
- Coordinating the in-servicing of new equipment and new procedures in collaboration with the clinical nurse educator
- Facilitating the clinical needs of the surgeons' within the service
- Identifying processes for change within the clinical service
- Working with the Division Head and other surgeons within the department to facilitate current practice inclusive of implementing new products and maintaining equipment and instruments as it relates to the service
- Collaborates with other clinical resource nurses to promote standardization of equipment, procedures and clinical care
- Maintaining of supplies and equipment in collaboration with the OR Materials Management Coordinator and the Manager, OR
- Assisting with MRN responsibilities as necessary
- Supporting and covering other resource nurses when necessary
- Other specific duties as required within each specific service
- Other duties as assigned according to operational projects and initiatives.
What else do you bring?
- Current Certificate of Registration in the General Class with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification.
- Graduation from a perioperative certification course.
Preferably, your profile also includes:
- Five years of relevant O.R. experience.
- Proven clinical experience with patient-focused care, including strong patient assessment, care planning, patient education and documentation skills.
- Experience working with electronic medical records.
- Familiarity with the Regulated Health Professions Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS, and the Standards of Practice of the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, and verbal and written communication skills in English, with an ability to deliver information and work effectively with patients, families and colleagues.
- Demonstrated strong decision-making, problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and adjust to new or unexpected events.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and professional development.
- Baccalaureate degree in Nursing from an approved nursing program.
- Certification with CNA.
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS)
- Recent completion of a physical assessment course.
- Previous resource nurse experience an asset
- Membership in the Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO)/Canadian Nurses Association (CNA).
- Ability to speak a second language an asset.
*This position is represented by ONA
*You may be required to work at any site of Mackenzie Health
Mackenzie Health is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code.FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS:
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to Mackenzie Health's Occupational Health and Safety department.