ONA JOB POSTING #897762
Position: Registered Nurse
Site: Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
Department: 15B Leukemia/Malignant Hematology
Reports To: Nurse Manager
Salary Range: $34.24 - $49.02 per hour (Start rate determined in accordance with collective agreement requirements)
Hours: 20 shifts in 6 weeks; Shifts: Days/Nights
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where "above all else the needs of patients come first" , encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN.
The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of ground breaking firsts and a purpose of "Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning" , the University Health Network (UHN), Canada's largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
The Princess Margaret Cancer Centre has 12 site groups and 26 specialty clinics, and almost 3,000 staff who see over 400,000 patient visits every year. Its 800,000 square feet house 130 inpatient beds, 373,000 square feet of research space and 17 radiation treatment machines, making it one of the largest comprehensive cancer treatment facilities in the world and the largest radiation treatment centre in Canada. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here
As a member of the UHN and the Nursing Multi-disciplinary Team, the REGISTERED NURSE practices in accordance with relevant legislation/standards, meeting the legal and ethical requirements of the profession. The principal responsibilities include: applying knowledge of nursing science, theory, skill and critical decision making in the provision of compassionate, collaborative and competent care in accordance with the UHN Professional Practice Model for Nursing and the mission and vision of nursing at the UHN; ensuring practice is consistent with professional standards and the ethical framework as outlined by the College of Nurses of Ontario and the UHN policy and procedure; demonstrating commitment to professional life long learning by participating in continuing education activities to meet the needs of the patient population served and the standards of the profession; performing reflective practice, analyzing and evaluating nursing knowledge and modifying practice accordingly to improve the quality of nursing and patient care; performing cross-functional and other responsibilities, as assigned and/or requested. The successful candidate will bring a commitment to Primary Nursing Care as the care delivery model.
Re-Posted Date: May 9, 2022 Closing Date: until filledMay 5, 2022
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) program
- Current certificate of competency from the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Chemotherapy certification and experience in the care of the client with oncologic disorders required
- Bone Marrow Transplant experience preferred
- Strong crisis intervention/problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Evidence of cooperative and facilitative relationships when working with all interdisciplinary and direct care team members
- Evidence of commitment to team building and working within a patient focused care model
- Ability to function entirely independently
- Evidence of strong physical assessment and the ability to predict changes in patient status
- Evidence of effective psychosocial, and patient/family teaching skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to utilize the nursing process in planning, implementing and evaluating patient care
- Demonstrated leadership/in charge skills and evidence of good organizational and decision making skills
- Evidence of commitment to self-directed learning
- Oncology certification preferred
- B.Sc.N. preferred
- Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, persons with disabilities and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.