Nurse Practitioner - Chronic Kidney Disease Program
Permanent Full Time
There's never been a better time to join Mackenzie Health! Mackenzie Health's two hospitals - Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital and Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital - and our community-based locations provide the ultimate in care to our community. We have opportunities available. Ultimately, this is where you want to be.
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) as an autonomous health professional with advanced education provides essential health services grounded in professional, ethical and legal standards. The CKD Nurse Practitioner integrates in-depth knowledge of advanced nursing practice and theory, health management, health promotion, disease/injury prevention, and other relevant biomedical and psychosocial theories to provide comprehensive health services. The Nurse Practitioner works in collaboration with clients and other health-care providers in the provision of high-quality patient-centred care. They work with diverse client populations in a variety of contexts and practice settings.
The RN (EC) has an expanded scope of practice that includes a range of diagnoses, prescribing a range of drugs and ordering a range of diagnostic tests. The RN (EC) role will encompass the full scope of advanced nursing practice blended with expanded functions including medical directives.
Contribute to safe, quality care by
• Managing a workload effectively in a fast-paced environment.
• Addressing and resolving issues in a productive, respectful manner.
• Exercising sound professional judgment and using best practice guidelines.
• Contributing to a safe, inclusive environment for all through compliance with patient and staff safety policies and procedures.
What must you have?
• Registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario as an Extended Class RN and is a member in good standing.
• National certification in Nephrology Nursing from the Canadian Nurses Association required.
• Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification.
• Proven clinical experience with patient-focused care, including strong patient assessment, care planning, patient education and documentation skills.
What else do you bring?
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience of theories guiding adult learning principles and principles guiding health promotion activities.
• Demonstrated knowledge of planning, developing and implementing education initiatives for health care providers and community members.
• Embraces a philosophy of patient and family centered care.
• Demonstrates leadership in clinical excellence.
• Assesses and provides services to clients, families and communities.
• Provides comprehensive health services encompassing:
- Identification and management of chronic stable conditions.
- Prevention of disease and injuries.
- Health promotion and education.
- Continuity of care.
- Support services.
• Advanced nursing assessment skills and sound knowledge of clinical therapeutics.
• Effective patient/family counseling skills.
• Excellent organizational, critical appraisal and analytical skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• High level of initiative and self-direction.
• Exemplary interpersonal and communications skills.
• Computer literacy in a Windows environment utilizing Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook at a senior level.
• Proven attendance record.
• Demonstrates understanding and complies with patient and staff safety policies and procedures that foster a safe and inclusive environment for all.
• Ability to perform the essential duties of the job.
• Effectively uses empathy in interactions with others.
• Demonstrates behaviours consistent with Mackenzie Health's Commitment to Caring and values - Excellence, Leadership and Empathy.
• Commitment to providing an exceptional experience for staff and clients within a challenging and exciting health care environment.
Preferably, your profile also includes:
• Minimum of 5 years of recent clinical experience in Nephrology preferred.
• Membership in the Nurse Practitioner Association of Ontario preferred.
• Advanced clinical knowledge of current best practices in caring for nephrology/dialysis population.
• Experience in Case Management preferred.
• Ability to participate in on-call for acute hemodialysis at Mackenzie Health Richmond Hill Hospital and other satellite sites including Southlake.
• Interest in working with acute and chronic patients in a hemodialysis environment.
• Ability to speak a second language.
*This position is representated by ONA