At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Halton is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process.
Halton Region serves more than 595,000 residents throughout Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville. We are committed to the delivery of high quality programs and services that make Halton a great place to live and work.
We are proud to operate three non-profit long-term care homes where our employees make a meaningful contribution on the lives of the residents by providing quality care in a family-like atmosphere.
As an employee, you will be part of a progressive, service-focused and award winning employer with a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also recognized as a Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO) Best Practice Spotlight organization.
At Halton, you are encouraged to grow and succeed in your career and are recognized for your work.
Posting ID: 354
Department: Social & Community Services
Division: Services for Seniors
Pay Range: $33.23 - $47.57
Job Type: Permanent
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week (0700-1500, Days)
Work Location: Creek Way Village Long Term Care Facility - 5200 Corporate Drive, Burlington
Employee Group: ONA LTC
Posting Date: February 16, 2022
Application Deadline: Posted Until Filled
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides leadership for designated home areas ensuring that resident care is delivered according to Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC), College of Nurses of Ontario and Services for Seniors Mission and Care Philosophy.
- Provides direction to staff concerning resident and family issues and Resident Home Area operations.
- Supervises work of front line staff providing direction and support as necessary.
- Communicates effectively with residents, staff, families, physicians and team members.
- Provides excellent customer service at all times. Provides individualized service and creates a “homelike” atmosphere.
- Participates in skin and wound care programs according to MOHLTC and Services for Seniors policies, procedures and best practices.
- Completes an individualized plan of care for each resident. Assesses resident’s health status on an ongoing basis and institutes appropriate care measures.
- Administers medication as necessary, as well as medications not approved for the RPN. Responsible for the security of drugs and narcotics according to applicable policies and legislation.
- Participates in Quality Improvement and Risk Management activities.
- Performs administrative duties such, as scheduling and also acts as the Charge Nurse in absence of management staff.
- Assists in the orientation of new staff, students and volunteers.
- Acts as a resident advocate; communicates information about client /resident needs to internal and external agencies, staff, volunteers, families and students.
- Recommends changes to nursing practice, care policies and procedures, as the need arises.
- Assists with completion of PSW and RPN performance appraisals by providing input to MORC.
- Contributes to physician rounds and facilitates Resident Care Conferences.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario with two years’ experience in geriatrics, rehabilitation or long-term care nursing is required.
- A Bachelor of Science in Nursing is an asset. Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work both in a team and independently are required.
- Must also possess strong analytical skills and the ability to manage multiple demands and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated computer ability and experience in Long Term Care is desirable.
- Must have a genuine desire to work with the elderly, an understanding of the Residents’ Bill of Rights and Compliance Standards as set out by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care.
- Positive difference in people's lives because you provide high quality customer centered services.
- Highly ethical environment and you will be accountable for going the extra mile, listening to your customers, creatively meeting needs and always being respectful to those you serve.
- Qualified and strategic team recognized widely for caring, excellence, integrity, inclusiveness and flexibility.
Working/ Employment Conditions
- Must be able to work shifts.
- Must be able to perform all the necessary physical tasks associated with the care and assistance of residents.
- Current (obtained within the past six (6) months), original and acceptable Criminal Records Check, including Vulnerable Sector Screening by the first day of employment.
- Current two-step tuberculosis test (obtained within the past six (6) months) by the first day of employment. Must be able to work shifts.
- In support of the Region’s commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, the Region has a vaccination requirement for all employees. The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and able to provide proof of vaccination. The candidate will be asked to provide the Region with proof of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected by the Code, a request for accommodation can be requested and written proof satisfactory to the Region will be required.
Important information about your application:
- If you require accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
- We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
- Applications will be accepted up to midnight of the application deadline.
- If you experience any issues with submitting your application, please contact HR Access at 905-825-6000 extension 7700.
- Applications that are not submitted online will not be considered.
- Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
- If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please ensure the contact information provided on your resume is up to date and that you check your email and voicemail regularly.