PSW, Bargaining Unit Work Hours:
PSW - $18.36/hour, HHW - $16.76/hour Application Deadline:
Ongoing Program Overview - Community Care
The Community Care Unit provides a holistic approach to care at home for seniors and caregivers who are vulnerable, at risk and/or marginalized. The unit provides a wide range of programs such as Assisted Living Services, Home & Cluster Care, Social Work, Meals-on-Wheels, Adult Day programs, and transportation, which enable seniors to be as independent as possible in their homes. The unit also provides a variety of socio-recreational/wellness programs which enhance the quality of life and promote the health of the older adult. What You Will Do
What You Bring to the Team
- Practices a client-centred and culturally competent approach to ensuring high quality personal care for clients.
- Assists clients with activities of daily living including feeding, transfers, bathing, skin care, oral hygiene, toileting, and continence care.
- Assists clients with instrumental activities of daily living including light housekeeping duties, laundry, meal preparation, and bulk shopping.
- Performs non-controlled acts assigned by the Supervisor, which have been taught by a Regulated Health Professional (or Supervisor), and in accordance with the Unit's policy.
- Performs controlled acts which have been delegated by a Regulated Health Professional, and in accordance with the Unit's policy.
- Provides medication assistance or reminders in accordance with the Unit's Medication Assistance Policy.
- Continuously observes clients and their environments, and reports and documents unsafe conditions and behavioural, physical, mental and/or cognitive changes to the Supervisor.
- Consistently completes and maintains progress notes in client profile binder and the communication log.
- Communicates and collaborates with caregivers/stakeholders to determine preferred approaches to care.
- Responds professionally to responsive behaviours; if unable to deal with behaviours successfully, reports to Supervisor and works with various professional and resource persons as required to support the client.
- Applies proper food handling practices in accordance with the Unit's policy.
- Ensures there are sufficient program supplies, forms and equipment available; reports to Supervisor when supplies are low.
- Ensures the anti-racism objectives and community development principles of the organization are achieved within the program.
What Will Set You Apart
- Personal Support Worker Certificate and NACC Certificate (if applicable).
- Experience providing personal care to frail seniors and/or disabled adults.
- Food Handling Certificate considered an asset.
- First Aid and CPR certification is considered an asset.
- Excellent understanding of how to work with clients to ensure their ADLs and iADLs are met.
- Good communication skills: verbal, written, listening, and reporting.
- Able to work effectively within a team.
- Able to be flexible and demonstrate good judgment in assessing clients' needs.
- Knowledge of behavioural management techniques and approaches.
- Knowledge of gerontology issues, health care, and social service systems.
- Food safety handling skills.
- Skills in keeping personal and program environment hygiene.
- Able to do frequent light to moderate lifting, walking, bending, stretching and pulling.
- Able to work in a second-hand smoke/pet environment.
- Available to work occasional statutory holidays.
Powered by JazzHR