Services and Housing In the Province (SHIP) is a Provincial leader in the broader public sector that builds strategic partnerships and programs that support the fundamental rights for Housing and Health Services throughout the Peel Region, Dufferin County, and surrounding areas.
Our commitment to increase quality of life through health services and housing supports that promote mental and physical health and wellness is at the forefront of every employee we hire. We value compassion, hope, inclusiveness, respect, and professionalism.
Our organization has supported the region for over 35 years and employs over 300 passionately engaged employees ranging from office administration, nurses, and service health specialists to housing specialists all dedicated to the community, clients, and families.
Reporting to the High Support program manager, the Registered Nurse (RN) will have a passion for working with individuals living in the community with complex serious mental illness. The RN will provide preventative and primary care to the individuals receiving services.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications to HR@shipshey.ca.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work independently and collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team to carry out mental health recovery and support
- Communicate openly and effectively with internal and external health service providers
- Perform nursing assessments, health screening, metabolic monitoring, and medication reconciliation and administration
- Administer standardized assessment and screening tools (Columbia SSS, OCAN)
- Provide psychoeducational support to clients and families
- Provide individualized goal assessment and supportive counselling as appropriate
- Identify risk factors to decrease harm by establishing and implementing recovery and crisis plans
- Provide harm reduction philosophy based substance use support
- Link individuals to Psychiatry, Primary Care, and Pharmacy services as needed
- Establish consistent clinical collaboration between community and hospital settings
- Assist clients in developing and maintaining community supports, daily living, and social skills necessary to obtain independency in the community
- Adherence to agency Health & Safety Program and the Client Safety Framework in the promotion of client safety
- Other duties as assigned
- An RN in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- 3 years with community mental health and/or addiction experience
- Knowledge of EPI provincial standards
- Demonstrated competency in mental health, addiction, cognitive and behavioural assessments
- Excellent skills in assessments, health teaching, counseling and crisis intervention
- Extensive knowledge of community supports
- CBT/DBT informed
- Knowledge of MS Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook)
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply
- A vehicle, valid driver’s license, and adequate insurance coverage
- Valid Certification in First Aid & CPR
- Training in ASIST and CPI
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Shifts are typically scheduled from Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:00pm but may vary depending on client needs
- Majority of work will be completed independently on site at the building location and/or in the client’s home/apartment
- Average amount of physical effort is required
- Requires the ability of handling light and moderate weight objects including office supplies and other supplies and/or frequently sitting and/or standing for prolonged periods of time
- Vehicle travel to sites, ability to walk up and open doors as required
This role requires your physical presence in the workplace. As part of SHIP’s commitment to health and safety, it is a condition of employment that you be fully vaccinated (2 doses, including 14 days since your second dose) against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada.
SHIP is an equal opportunity employer under the Canadian Human Rights Commission and AODA. If you need assistance with your application, please contact Human Resources | 905-795-8742
Thank you for your application but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply for Registered Nurse
Already uploaded your Resume? Sign in to apply instantly