Manager, Nursing Placement Office & Simulation
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter online at https://www.ryerson.ca/careers/search-available-career-opportunities/
About Ryerson University
At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path to become Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.
As an employer, we are working towards a people first culture and are proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and a Greater Toronto’s Top Employer for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. To learn more about our work environment, colleagues, leaders, students and innovative educational environment, visit www.ryerson.ca, check out @RyersonU, @RyersonHR and @RyersonECI on Twitter, and visit our LinkedIn company page.
About the Central Placement Office in the School of Nursing
The Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing (DCSN) is a dynamic learning space that promotes socially responsive, evidence-informed nursing. Graduates are prepared to address global health needs and provide high quality care for future generations.
In the DCSN, the Central Placement Office (CPO) is responsible for investigating, evaluating, developing and securing high-quality placement opportunities for students in practice settings to support achievement of learning outcomes. Through a strong network of diverse clinical placement partners, our students have access to hundreds of placement sites that reflect the many roles of nurses in today’s complex health care system. The Placement Coordinators play a critical role in identifying and organizing more than 2,250 student clinical placement opportunities each semester in support of the DCSN’s collaborative undergraduate, post diploma and graduate degree nursing programs. To learn more about the programs offered visit: https://www.ryerson.ca/nursing/. To access additional information about the CPO, please visit our website at https://www.ryerson.ca/cpo/
We are looking for a Manager, Nursing Central Placement Office and Simulation for our School of Nursing. The manager manages and coordinates the Central Placement Office (CPO) and simulation lab for all programs within the Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing (DCSN), including the Ryerson, Centennial, and George Brown Collaborative BScN Nursing Degree Program. They directly supervise the Placement Coordinators, Professional Practice and Simulation Coordinators, Administrator, Central Placement Office (CPO) and Program Assistant.
- Assists in developing strategic plans for the CPO and simulation labs, in coordination with the School leadership.
- Oversees the management and day to day operations of the CPO and simulation lab(s).
- Manages staff and their activities including: building the team to ensure effective team functioning, ensuring policies and protocols are followed, etc.
- Works with Faculty, Collaborative College partners and external nursing schools, partners and agencies, to improve student access to practice placements and simulations.
- Maintains strong relationships between Ryerson University and DCSN Programs and government agencies, health professionals, and professional organizations (both practice and educational), prospective students, and health care institutions.
- Attends Collaborative Management Team meetings and team meetings with the CPO and Collaborative lead instructors.
- Supports simulation lab staff in managing lab spaces, equipment and scheduling.
- Liaises with college partners regularly to ensure consistency in decisions and deadlines.
- Manages the CPO budget including: negotiating, authorizing and administering contracts and agreements related to practice placements.
- Represents Ryerson University, DCSN and CPO at internal and external committee meetings at community agencies, nursing associations and University committees.
- Works closely with the DCSN Administrative Officer to organize staff meetings, initiatives, training and professional development.
- Successful completion of a Master’s degree in Nursing or current Registered Nurses Certificate of Competence.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience managing and supervising healthcare staff and/or nurses and managing nursing clinical placements and simulation labs, preferably in a unionized environment. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of professional standards, the state of current/potential practice arena for nursing, and policies and protocols for the student placement process.
- Experience overseeing and supervising CPO and simulation lab staff and their activities.
- Demonstrated ability in managing and building a team and in ensuring effective team functioning.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Strong financial and analytical skills and experience managing budgets including negotiating, authorizing and administering contracts and agreements related to practice placements.
- Experience liaising with government agencies, health professionals, and professional organizations (both practice and educational), prospective students, health care institutions and college partners.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Reports To: Director, School of Nursing
Vacancy Type: Full-Time permanent position
Employee Group: MAC
Start Date: ASAP
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Salary Scale: $72,189 - $115,314
Candidates must have a demonstrated record of dependability/reliability and a commitment to maintain confidentiality.
We encourage all First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples or Indigenous peoples of North America, to self-identify in their applications and also reach out to Tracey King, Aboriginal HR Consultant for support during the selection process.
As part of the selection process, candidates may be required to complete an occupational assessment.
Applications will only be accepted online through Ryerson's careersite.
Please watch a message from Ryerson's Vice President, Equity and Community Inclusion for more information on our commitment to equity.