Mental Health Nurse
- Ontario Ministry of the Solicitor General
- Sault Ste Marie
- $1,429.89 - $1,786.05 per week
- Job Category
- Healthcare Services and Wellness
- Contract type
Mental Health Nurse
In compliance with the recently amended OPSEU collective agreement provision, the correct salary range for this position has increased to $1,429.89 - $1,786.05 per week.
Bring your knowledge and clinical expertise to provide mental health care in the role of Mental Health Nurse with the Algoma Treatment and Remand Centre, Ministry of the Solicitor General.
We have the following positions available:
• 1 permanent, part-time (24 hours per week)
• 1 temporary, full-time up to October 2019 (40 hours per week)
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will use your specialized knowledge and skills to provide patient-centred mental health care to inmates.
Specifically, you will:
• Conduct mental health assessments for the purposes of triage and on-going care
• Plan and implement treatment plans
• Monitor adherence and response to treatment plans and health care interventions
• Liaise with community care providers to obtain mental health histories and facilitate transitional care at discharge
• Lead case management by initiating patient-specific plans of care
• Coordinate care with other members of the health care team, such as primary care, psychiatry, social work and psychology
• Utilize your sound knowledge of crisis prevention and intervention
• Contribute to mental health program development within the institution
• Establish and maintain positive working relationships with other staff members and external stakeholders
• Share your knowledge and expertise with other staff members
• Practise in accordance with College of Nurses of Ontario Practice Standards and Ministry expectations
• Practise in accordance with the security requirements of the institution
Location: Sault Ste Marie
How do I qualify?
• You must be registered as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario and be in good standing
• The successful candidate will be required to be registered for a mental health nurse certification program upon job offer and complete certification requirements within a specified period of time
The ministry will accept the following certification or proof of enrolment:
• Canadian Nurses Association – Current Psychiatric and Mental Health Certification
• Centre for Addiction and Mental Health - Concurrent Disorders Certification
• Accredited Colleges in Canada – Mental Health Certification
Nursing and Mental Health Knowledge and Experience
• You have in-depth knowledge of mental illness, mental health nursing theory, community mental health resources, evidence-based practices and current treatment options acquired through enrolment in/completion of a post-diploma/post-degree certificate program in mental health, and supplemented by continuing education in mental health/psychiatry
• You can interpret and apply relevant legislation (such as the Mental Health Act, Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, Personal Health Information Protection Act)
• You have knowledge of mental health evidence-based practices and current treatment options as well as experience completing comprehensive mental health assessments
• You can elicit, interpret and evaluate information from patients and other sources and draw conclusions to develop treatment and care plans
• You are able to evaluate patient responses to planned interventions and to modify interventions in collaboration with the inter-professional team to achieve established inmate goals
• You can address emergency situations and implement appropriate therapeutic interventions
Effective Communication Skills
• You can present information in a clear and concise manner as well as adapt your communication skills to provide information and health teaching to a diverse population
• You can work collaboratively with others, such as the inter-professional team, correctional staff and community agencies
• You are an effective patient advocate and can advocate for and encourage patient participation in their plan of care
• You have oral and written communication skills to clearly communicate care and progress through documentation, including progress notes, written care plans, clinical and administrative summaries
• You are able to support patients in working towards achieving identified goals
Hours of Work
• The hours of work for the permanent part-time position are 24 hours per week. The hours of work for the temporary full-time position are 40 hours are week. You may be expected to work rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 7 days per week service, up to 24 hours a day
Salary Range: $1,429.89 - $1,786.05 per week
- 1 Permanent - Regular Part Time, 800 Great Northern Rd, Sault Ste Marie, North Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 3 months, 800 Great Northern Rd, Sault Ste Marie, North Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service).
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 136984, by Thursday, July 18, 2019. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.