- London InterCommunity Health Centre
- Job Category
- Healthcare Services and Wellness, Nursing/Healthcare
- Contract type
For more than 25 years, the London InterCommunity Health Centre has provided health and social services to those who experience barriers to care including poverty, homelessness, language or culture, and complex and/or chronic health conditions including mental health and addictions. Today the organization is viewed as a community leader in newcomer health, care of vulnerable women, issues of health equity, client-led service development and the advancement of partnerships that improve access to vital services for the community’s most vulnerable.
Working to a full scope of practice, the RN will provide comprehensive nursing in a primary care clinic setting to members of the transgender community. This includes analysis of health behaviours related to lifestyle and culture, review of client’s medical history, physical assessments, nursing diagnosis, and in collaboration with the client, development and implementation of care plans. The RN works as a member of a multi-disciplinary team supported by physicians, nurse practitioners, dietitians, social workers, community development workers, and support staff.
The RN also functions and participates in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programs, services and quality improvement initiatives for the communities served. The successful candidate will act with professionalism and courtesy toward clients, the general public and colleagues and will demonstrate knowledge and valuing of the clients’ life situation.
- Post secondary diploma (RN) or degree (BScN) from a recognized college or university;
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario, in good standing;
- Minimum 2 years’ of nursing experience; emergency room experience is an asset;
- Knowledge of local transgender communities and culture;
- Awareness of transgender social, health and medical concerns as well as barriers, and strategies to increase access to necessary health and social services;
- A clear understanding of gender identity issues, comprehensive knowledge and interest in queer and transgender, anti-racist and anti-oppressive matters;
- Ability to maintain complete and accurate records in accordance with the Health Centre’s policies utilizing strong computer skills, including the use of MS Office and EMR (Practice Solutions Suite currently in use);
- Demonstrated experience facilitating programs/group programs, program development and/or program evaluation;
- Practiced experience with patient education and/or developing patient education materials;
- Awareness of and understanding of the social determinants of health and health promotion;
- Ability to work with diverse communities with respect, sensitivity, creativity, innovation, cultural understanding, non-judgement and facilitation skills; cross-cultural work is an asset;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; Multilingualism (French, Arabic, Kurdish, Swahili, Spanish) an asset
Why Work with Us
This full time position offers a competitive salary, complimented with membership in the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) as well as paid vacation and professional development time. To promote time to recharge, our normal work week is 37.5 hours, Monday to Friday with a steady schedule. Paid sick and emergency days are available to all staff for self and family care.
We are a recognized Positive Space for staff and community and uphold a commitment to hiring staff that reflect the diversity of our clients and community we serve to demonstrate we are an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply for this position by forwarding a covering letter and resume by Friday July 26th at 4:00pm to the attention of David Henderson, with the position title in the subject line (if applicable):
Mail: London InterCommunity Health Centre 659 Dundas Street London, Ontario, N5W 2Z1
Fax: (519) 642-1532
Should you require accommodation in making an application please contact our office. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected will be contacted.
To learn more about the Health Centre visit us online at www.lihc.on.ca, follow us on Twitter @HealthCentre or like us on Facebook – London InterCommunity Health Centre.