Hospice Residence, Director of Care
- 653 Queen St, Newmarket, ON L3Y 2J1
- SALARY: $80,000 - $90,000 per annum
- Job Category
- Contract type
HOSPICE RESIDENCE, DIRECTOR OF CARE
Better Living Health and Community Services is a charitable nonprofit community service organization established in 1969 that provides a continuum of care to seniors, individuals with disabilities, and those with life limiting illnesses. Operating out of six (6) locations and serving the Central LHIN and parts of Toronto Central LHIN, our services have historically included long term care, community support services, and community hospice.
Most recently our hospice and palliative care services have expanded as a result of integration with Doane House Hospice and PalCare Network for York Region, and the successful bid in to open and operate Margaret Bahen Hospice for York Region (MBH) in 2017.
Margaret Bahen Hospice for York Region (MBH) is a ten (10) bed hospice that provides end-of-life care to individuals and their families a warm, home-like environment, ensuring through an integrated model of care, that their physical, emotional, spiritual and psychological needs are met. The hospice serves about 250 residents and their families from York Region and surrounding areas, each year.
Committed to provided outstanding hospice palliative care services to our Residents and their families, MBH has an exciting opportunity for a Hospice Residence, Director of Care.
Reporting to the VP Hospice Palliative Care, the Director of Care will lead the planning, development, management and oversight of all clinical and resident care services at Margaret Bahen Hospice for York Region.
The Successful Candidate for this Position Must Have the Following Qualifications:
- Baccalaureate of Science in Nursing (BScN) required; Master of Science in Nursing (MScN) preferred
- Current registration with RNAO required
- Post-RN education, certification or degree in nursing administration and management an asset
- Demonstrated experience or additional certification in the specialty area (i.e. CAPCE, CNA certification in Hospice Palliative Care Nursing)
- A minimum of 7 years of clinical experience with at least 3 years of experience providing hospice palliative care
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant management experience
- Health and Safety Certification an asset
- Demonstrated experience in building palliative care capacity within an organization and in the community
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team environment
The Successful Candidate for this Position Must be able to:
- In keeping with the organization’s mission, vision, and beliefs, and the philosophy and values of hospice palliative care, nurture a culture of Client/Resident centred service that promotes an integrated approach to care, compassion, and dignity.
- Demonstrate a consultative management style in the planning, organization, and supervision of the activities of the Clinical and Food Services departments.
- Demonstrate a highly developed ability to listen; communicate goals; and share knowledge and experience with residents and their families.
- Oversee the medication management system of the hospice in accordance with best practice standards and legal and regulatory requirements.
- Oversee all aspects of Resident care, including but not limited to:
- oversee the admissions to the hospice
- work in partnership with the physician team to ensure resident needs are communicated and met
- establish and maintain Resident records
- investigate incidents and complaints, and as required identify and carryout appropriate corrective actions
- provide appropriate training and clinical supervision to the nursing team
- coordinate and monitor the infection prevention and control program
- establish standards of care through the development and implementation of nursing policies and procedures
- assume responsibility for appropriate staffing and scheduling, providing assistance and coverage as resident needs require
- provide after-hours support to the clinical team, as required, in order to effectively manage critical needs
- Ensure compliance with all acts, regulations and requirements acting as a point of contact during any review processes conducted by regulatory bodies.
- Provide leadership to the health and safety, and fire safety programs at the hospice.
- Develop professional and effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, peers, stakeholders, community members and funders.
- Manage department budgets for the Clinical and Food Services teams, completing funder reports and identifying variances, trends or financial risks to the VP Hospice Palliative Care as needed.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the hospices role in the health care system, including inherent challenges, with respect to the delivery of hospice palliative care services.
SALARY: $80,000 - $90,000 per annum commensurate with experience
Please email or fax your cover letter and resume to Human Resources at:
Please quote “Director of Care” on the cover letter and e-mail subject line.
Better Living is an equal opportunity employer and is in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Employment Standards Act and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Applicants need to make their request for accommodation known when contacted. Thank you to all who express interest in this position and we welcome all resumes however only those granted an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please. Thank you.